Author Topic: Worldwide Ancestry problems  (Read 750 times)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Worldwide Ancestry problems
« on: Tuesday 30 July 13 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have recently upgraded my Ancestry subscription to Worldwide foolishly thinking I would be able to search WORLDWIDE for records.  When I click on "search records" I get the COLLECTION PRIORITY as in the screen shot below, which I then have to click to change every time.

Is there a way of making my default search to include records from countries other than the UK and Ireland - after all that was the purpose of upgrading the subscription!  ::)

This may be a mute point as since yesterday afternoon I have hardly been able to get onto the site because they are doing "maintenance"  :'(

Thank you,

Liz

Research interests:
Mid-Sussex - my maternal ancestors have not moved far for 400 years!
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Norfolk (Morgan), Lincolnshire (Brown), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen) and the 17th / 18th century religious dissenters of the Nordrhein-Westfalen region of Germany.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Worldwide Ancestry problems
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi gataki,

When you fill in search details, look at Collection status, if it says UK and Irish, change it to "All Collections".

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

Thank you for replying.  I'm sorry - I'm being thick - I don't see where you mean?

It's OK if I start a completely new search as the little box for "Only records from the UK and Ireland" can be left unchecked.

But if I go to a person in my tree and want to search records I have to change it each time - there doesn't seem to be a default way of getting it to stay so that it will automatically search ALL records - which is what I want it to do.  :'( It is so frustrating!

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Norfolk (Morgan), Lincolnshire (Brown), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen) and the 17th / 18th century religious dissenters of the Nordrhein-Westfalen region of Germany.

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 12:23 BST (UK) »
 :o I had been told by Ancestry when I phoned that what I wanted to do was impossible as the search always picked up my ISP address and chose the most appropriate  ::) collection.

However persevering with Tom's suggestion, I think I might have got it to work  8) - thank you.

I went into the Search all Records as if I was starting a completely new person search and then clicked on Show Advanced.  I then chose All Collections and checked the box.  When I went back to searching for records from within the profile of someone already in my tree this now showed all collections  ;D and seems to stay like that now as the default.

All I need now is for the site to be working properly  ::)

Liz
Research interests:

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,

Thats what I done and it works. Good.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey