Author Topic: Worldwide Ancestry problems  (Read 948 times)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Worldwide Ancestry problems
« on: Tuesday 30 July 13 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have recently upgraded my Ancestry subscription to Worldwide foolishly thinking I would be able to search WORLDWIDE for records.  When I click on "search records" I get the COLLECTION PRIORITY as in the screen shot below, which I then have to click to change every time.

Is there a way of making my default search to include records from countries other than the UK and Ireland - after all that was the purpose of upgrading the subscription!  ::)

This may be a mute point as since yesterday afternoon I have hardly been able to get onto the site because they are doing "maintenance"  :'(

Thank you,

Liz

Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Worldwide Ancestry problems
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi gataki,

When you fill in search details, look at Collection status, if it says UK and Irish, change it to "All Collections".

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

Thank you for replying.  I'm sorry - I'm being thick - I don't see where you mean?

It's OK if I start a completely new search as the little box for "Only records from the UK and Ireland" can be left unchecked.

But if I go to a person in my tree and want to search records I have to change it each time - there doesn't seem to be a default way of getting it to stay so that it will automatically search ALL records - which is what I want it to do.  :'( It is so frustrating!

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 12:23 BST (UK) »
 :o I had been told by Ancestry when I phoned that what I wanted to do was impossible as the search always picked up my ISP address and chose the most appropriate  ::) collection.

However persevering with Tom's suggestion, I think I might have got it to work  8) - thank you.

I went into the Search all Records as if I was starting a completely new person search and then clicked on Show Advanced.  I then chose All Collections and checked the box.  When I went back to searching for records from within the profile of someone already in my tree this now showed all collections  ;D and seems to stay like that now as the default.

All I need now is for the site to be working properly  ::)

Liz
Research interests:

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,

Thats what I done and it works. Good.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey