Author Topic: Wolverhampton mystery ... who was George Haycock's mother?!  (Read 14509 times)

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Lioessens church 12th/tower 15th century
    • View Profile
Re: Wolverhampton mystery ... who was George Haycock's mother?!
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 20:21 BST (UK) »
It can indicate that [amazingly] no one from the other siblings' descendants ever caught the family history bug ;D

That's ... that's ... INCONCEIVABLE! But likely to be true, alas  :-\

I looked for baptisms on the free sites as well with no success.

Just went through the indexes again checking for baptisms of a George for Dec 1862 and Jan 1862. Nothing. I'll go back through them checking for all Georges after Dec 1862.

Could it be that either his birth wasn't registered, or he wasn't baptised? I know a lot of my Dutch family wasn't baptised, as it did cost money and/or people were simply too busy making a living.

TD
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Twenty years on this forum!

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Ladyhawk,

Thank you for jumping in  ;)

The marriage for John Haycock and Emily Buckley is, in fact, that of George's older half-brother John Thomas (born Dixon ca 1843). He lived at St. John's Square and then Art Street.

It is unbelievable how impossible it is to find George. Same goes for his father John. I don't know his mother's name either. The few relatives that I did manage to find who knew a little about the family were unable to fill me in on the missing details, so it's all up to me.

TD
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 23:05 BST (UK) »

As father John Haycock (Heycock on marriage certificate) is a widower both in 1861 (after wife Susan Dixon/Dickson's death in 1860) and 1871

Hi TD:

I've been reading your post with interest and have been doing a bit of looking around. Where is the John Haycock family (Sophia, Joseph, Frederick) in 1861?

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 23:42 BST (UK) »
This is the census reference-RG09/1990/89/31.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi TD:

I've been reading your post with interest and have been doing a bit of looking around. Where is the John Haycock family (Sophia, Joseph, Frederick) in 1861?

sami

Hi Sami  :)

The family is transcribed as Acock in 1861 and living at Sweetman St W'hampton.

removed this, not sure about copyright etc

Threw me off for a while as well  :-\

TD

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 00:01 BST (UK) »
This is the census reference-RG09/1990/89/31.

Regards
William Russell Jones.

Thank you for thinking along as well  ;D

Hopefully we'll finally be able to crack this, it's been driving me bonkers for years!

TD

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 00:02 BST (UK) »
thank you both William and TD - no wonder I couldn't find them  ;D

I'm really wondering if George is John Jr's son.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 00:19 BST (UK) »
Sami,

I have been thinking about that possibility as well. John having been born in 1843 could easily be George's father in 1863. He marries Emily Buckley in 1865, so that would mean George isn't Emily's son. Also, his papers state his mother's name is Maria. However, I have no idea how to proof this  :-\

I thought it might be important to look at the names of George's children, as -hopefully - it was customary in England to name children for their grandparents as they did in The Netherlands. Here are the names:

Sarah
Florence E
George
Joseph
John Walter (my grandfather)
Edith May
Dorothy Alice
William F

It proved that my hunch was not really valid, as George's mother Maria doesn't seem to appear anywhere, and neither does his mother-in-law's name Ann (Threlfall/Stanton

I still need to further investigate the name William as all 4 brothers Haycock name a son William. Or maybe that was just the trend of the time, who knows.

TD

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 00:37 BST (UK) »
I have been thinking about that possibility as well. John having been born in 1843 could easily be George's father in 1863. He marries Emily Buckley in 1865, so that would mean George isn't Emily's son. Also, his papers state his mother's name is Maria. However, I have no idea how to proof this  :-\

Hi TD:

Another line of thought for me is that Maria is not necessarily his mother's first name. There is the death of an Anne Maria Whitehouse in Wolverhampton registered in the Dec quarter of 1862 (6B 324).

sami