Author Topic: Birth or Christening in Little Fransham, surname MOORE  (Read 2930 times)

Offline dcbyron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth or Christening in Little Fransham, surname MOORE
« on: Wednesday 31 July 13 05:52 BST (UK) »
In the 1911 UK census for Sunninghill, Berkshire, a relative named Eleanor Elizabeth "Ellen" Moore is listed with the birthplace Little Fransham, Norfolk.

The online resources we have found (such as this list of villagers from the 1901 census, found via http://apling.freeservers.com/Villages/FranshamLittle54.htm ) show a couple of "Moore" families there, but do not include her name. So I'm hoping to find out whether parish birth or christening records exist that document her in that location (or nearby!) and perhaps associate her with other names (such as those of her parents, currently unknown to us).

She would've been born in 1886 or 1887.

If anyone is in a position to help, or to point me toward help, I'd be grateful!

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth or Christening in Little Fransham, surname MOORE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 06:54 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat dcbyron.

Have you tried these resources?:
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&region=UNITED_KINGDOM_IRELAND
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/
http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/

Have you found Eleanor in the 1891 and 1901 censuses to check her place of birth?

Do you have her marriage certifcate, which should give the name of her father.

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 07:07 BST (UK) »
I have just located Ellen in 1911 and see that she is a servant. On the 1901 census there are several Ellen Moores b Norfolk - some are with family and some are servants. None say they are born Little Fransham. You might need her marriage certificate to find out her father's name in the hope that we can identify one of the 1901 Ellens. It looks to be the same story with the 1891 census - there are a few, none born or living in Little Fransham.

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 07:19 BST (UK) »
There is an Edith Ellen baptised in Little Fransham, but she wasn't born until 1893

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0vjd/

yokel

Offline dcbyron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 08:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the kind welcome and quick replies!

I have tried two of those three resources with poor results, but I'll look into freebmd, which seems promising.

Unfortunately, we do not have her marriage certificate. Eleanor entered service in London, as did the man she would eventually marry, but each was transported to the US (she definitely in 1910; she's listed in the 1911 UK census because the master of the house traveled back and forth with various subsets of his family and staff after marrying an American woman).

(Eleanor died in the 1930s in Santa Monica, California, and since she had no social security card, it's also difficult to find information pertaining to that event. And we're not sure where she was married. Tricky puzzle!)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 09:36 BST (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tinstaafl/Church_Pages/fransham_lt.htm

Found the above, but records only go up to 1880 - but might help later if you can find your Eleanor post 1880?

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 14:07 BST (UK) »
As Ellen was in service in 1911, it may be that the head of the household who completed the census form did not know where Ellen was born. Ideally you should try to locate Ellen in earlier censuses to compare place of birth, but as I said you need some clue as to which of the various Ellens is yours.

If she married in the USA it is probably there that you are likely to find more information. Presumably you know who she married? How exhaustive has your search been for her marriage? (I am not familiar with US marriage records so do not know what information they provide).

Have you checked for records of her arrival into the USA?

Offline dcbyron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 14:21 BST (UK) »
If she married in the USA it is probably there that you are likely to find more information.
Big place. :)
Presumably you know who she married?
Yes, and we know his village in Kent. He never returned there once he went into service, and we're unsure where they married in the US. Indeed, it's even possible that they made the round trip NY-England-NY with their employer(s) and married while back in England!

How exhaustive has your search been for her marriage?
Still working on it.

Have you checked for records of her arrival into the USA?
She arrived at Ellis Island with her employer, his family, and other domestics, on the Saint Paul, leaving Southampton on 03 Sept 1910 and arriving at Ellis Island on 10 Sept. Maddeningly, the image of the ship's manifest made available at EllisIsland.org shows a place of birth that clearly isn't "London" -- the city listed on the lines above and below -- but the place name is, to my eyes, illegible and poorly scanned. And they provide a transcription, but only of the left-hand side of the page!

Funny how these things go. :D

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 August 13 02:16 BST (UK) »
I looked on Ellisisland.org for Ellen Moore but couldn't see one arriving in 1910. I found an Eleanor Moore arriving in 1910, but note that you need to register to view the original. I think it is free though? Am a bit pushed for time atm so have no time to go through all the processes and not much point joining just to view this one record. I am wondering if you would be able to post on here a snip of the place of birth, with enough other writing so we can get a feel for the style and perhaps interpret the place name.

Although you say it is illegible, someone else may be able to decipher it for you. It's worth a try anyway. Is there a help desk, or 'contact us' whereby you could request a more clear scan of this particular record?

If you are able to provide a snip, it would be worth starting a new thread on the 'Deciphering" board to specifically request suggestions about place name. Provide a link to this thread to give helpers some background to your request.

I have no experience with research in the USA. Have you posted a request for help finding her marriage on the USA board? (once again supply links to related threads)  :)

I'm sure she is one of the dozen or so Ellen Moores on the 1891 and 1901 English cenuses - it's just a matter of finding a clue as to her father/parents names.

One more thing, do you have Ellen's death certificate? I am wondering if American death certificates would name her father/parents? Or perhaps an obituary may give some information about her life? Less likely perhaps, but might she have left a will? It may name siblings/other family members who remained in England?