Author Topic: On This Day In August - Our Ancestral BMDs. Please join in with yours....  (Read 22206 times)

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day In August - Our Ancestral BMDs. Please join in with yours....
« Reply #27 on: Friday 09 August 13 17:02 BST (UK) »
On 9 August 1888 my first cousin 1 x removed Eliza Jane Conquest was born in Walworth, London.
She was the daughter of William George Conquest and Eliza Jane Stevens.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 10 August 13 15:32 BST (UK) »
On 10 August
Roger Postlethwaite Benson my 2 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St Mary’s Church, Dalton in Furness, Lancashire in 1828.  He was on the 1841 census with his parents and siblings, but I can’t find any other trace of him until his death in 1875 in a workhouse in Ulverston.  He died of TB and his death was certified by a nurse in attendance.  I don’t know if he lived in the workhouse, or just died there.  Two of his brothers also died of TB one was a miner and one a farmer with 55 acres who employed men as ag labs.  Whether Roger worked for him or just went his own way, we’ll never know.

James Postlethwaite my 3 x g.g.uncle and uncle of Roger above was baptised in St Mary’s Church, Dalton in Furness in 1794.  I know nothing else about him as I’ve not researched him further.

John Hobson my 5 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St Peter’s Church, Huddersfield, Yorkshire in 1701

Mary Robinson my 4 x g.g.aunt was baptised at St Andrew’s Church, Folkingham, Lincolnshire in 1762.  Although I’ve not researched further, I assume she must have died as another daughter (the 3rd since Mary’s birth) was born in 1771 and also baptised Mary.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 12 August 13 08:57 BST (UK) »
2 birthdays for 12th August:

My 2 xgt.grandmother, Sophia Thorn, born in 1853 in Smallberry Green, Isleworth;  daughter of John and Jane (nee Ware). Sophia had an illegitimate son, George Thorn in 1871, but he lived just a few months.  She married Edward George in 1872 at St. John, Isleworth.  A son, William, was born in 1873 but died as a baby.  My gt. grandmother Annie was born in 1874.  I can find the family, along with Sophia's mother, on 1881 census but after that both Edward and Sophia seem to vanish.  ::)

My gt. grandfather, James Ottley Pain, born in 1863 in Woolwich;  son of Charles George and Mary Jane (nee Ottley). James married Amelia Sophia Rainer in 1883 at St. John the Evangelist, Penge.  They had 10 children and James died in 1899.  He is buried in St. Margaret, Plumstead.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 12 August 13 09:39 BST (UK) »
I missed yesterday, so here's yesterday and today's.

On 11 Aug
William Wane and Deborah Fleming my 6 x g.grandparents married at St Cuthbert’s Church, Aldingham, Lancashire in 1718.  They had only been married for 15 years when William died in 1833, aged 43 leaving Deborah with 6 children, the youngest aged 2.  There had been another child but she died a couple or so years before her father, soon after her birth.  My 6 x g.gran didn't re-marry, although she lived for another 47 years, dying aged 89.  I can't believe she lived alone for all that time though.

Eliza Louisa Catlow (nee Whittaker) my husband’s g.aunt was born in Denton, Lancashire in 1889

Thomas Hobson my 4 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St Peter’s Church, Huddersfield, Yorkshire in 1749

Rebecca Chapman my 4 x g.g.aunt was baptised at St Mary’s Church, Pinchbeck in 1776.  She died 15 months later and was buried in the same church as she was baptised.

On 12 Aug
Sarah Beldon my 5 x g.g.aunt was baptised at All Hallows Church, Almondbury, Yorkshire in 1699

Alice Milnes my 8 x g.g.aunt was baptised at Dewsbury, Yorkshire in 1602

Sarah Charlotte Mumby my 2 x g.g.aunt was buried at St Botolph’s Church, Boston, Lincolnshire in 1824, she was only just over 2 months old.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 12 August 13 10:58 BST (UK) »
A birthday today - my aunt by marriage is 97 today and is still as lively as ever. When she was 90 she flew off on a round the World trip with her son, stopping in Singapore, Australia, New Zealand and then flying back via Vancouver where her daughter lives. Since then she has been on holiday to Cyprus, Greece and Majorca. The only thing that is stopping her going back to Vancouver is the cost of the insurance - more than the flight. She says, "It doesn't matter where I am when I die, I won't know about it anyway."   ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 12 August 13 18:14 BST (UK) »
12th August 1937 my inlaws William Pender & Doris Raphael married ......they were lovely
couldnt have wished for better inlaws...........so on this day the glorious twelfth we would
like to remember them
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 14:15 BST (UK) »
On 13 August

Martha Collett my 3 x g.g.aunt was baptised at Stradbroke, Suffolk in 1769.  Unhappily she died less than a year later.

Mary Ann Merryweather (nee Stanton) was baptised at St Andrew’s Church, Heckington, Lincolnshire in  1797

Clement Tubbs and Elisabeth Pake my 4 x g.grandparents married at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire in 1786.  They had 6 children, the 3rd of which was the father of my illegitimate 3 x g.grandfather.

And last but not least, the eldest child of the baby I had to have adopted soon after her birth, many moons ago,  is 18 years old today.  Happy Birthday Riona.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 12:31 BST (UK) »
Oops, I missed my little sister's wedding anniversary on Monday. She and her husband are celebrating thirty-one years of married bliss, which is rather more than I achieved. ;)

Today I have two.

1842, a 1st cousin x 4, Martha Cant was born in Brightlingsea.

1927, 3 x great uncle, Alexander Raitt, died in Aberdeen.

This is still a quiet time for BMDs in my family. I must work hard during the winter months to find more about those whose anniversaries I don't know. I feel sure that they can't all have come to a standstill in July and August! ::)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 16:16 BST (UK) »
On 14 Aug 
Charles Frederick Salter a first cousin 3 times removed was born in St Mary’s, Tasmania in 1864.  He was the 10th child of the family.  His parents had been transported from England some 16 years earlier.

William Brand another cousin 3 times removed was baptised at St Peter & Paul, Union Road, Bourne, Lincolnshire in 1855

Anthony Collett an 8 x g.g.uncle died at Westerfield, Ipswich, Suffolk in  1644.  His father died in March 1600, but Anthony was not even mentioned in the Will, nor was he instructed as executor, a duty that was given to his sister Dameron Collett.  The reason for this might have something to do with his inheritance from his grandfather.

Shortly after reaching his twenty-first birthday, and probably following the death of his father John in 1600, Anthony inherited the Manor House at Westerfield from his grandfather John Dameron, which had been left in trust with his grandmother Joan Collett. He was the first Collett to become Lord of the Manor at Westerfield by virtue of inheriting the Manor House.  As Anthony Collett of Westerfield he was given Grant of Arms by the College of Arms in London