Author Topic: Rogers, Almeley  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Megworcester

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rogers, Almeley
« on: Wednesday 31 July 13 16:27 BST (UK) »
I have lost two brothers, both born in Almeley or Almeley Woonton. Their father was Thomas, born  1835 in   Llandewy, Radnorshire and their mother was Margaret Ann Morris, born 1839 at Llanfair Waterdine, Shropshire
The last time I can find Henry, born about 1876 is in the 1881 census, living in Pembridge with his parents. I can't find him after that.
Andrew, born1875/6, appears to have been living in Birmingham in 1901 census and working as a draper's assistant. After that I lose him until his death in Hereford in 1964. Family gossip tells me he lived in Buxton, married Winifred and probably had 2 children. Could he have changed his name to Arthur?
Any help in solving these riddles would be gratefully appreciated.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Rogers, Almeley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Henry can also become Harry (as in Prince Henry/Harry)

He is in Gloucester in 1891 as Harry Rogers b 1877 Hereford

RG12 Piece 2025 Folio 23 Page 1
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 18:41 BST (UK) »
The 1891 shows Andrew as Andrew J.  Freebmd shows his birth was December qtr 1875 and he was Andrew John

There is a marriage on freebmd in 1906 in Warwick - Winifred Mary Chadband and on the same page - Arthur John Rogers

I would recommend you look at the 1911 entry for him and Winifred and in particular - his occupation

You would need sight of that marriage cert to see if his father matched to Thomas but I would really recommend buying a copy of that 1964 death cert first to see who reported his death as I can't understand why he would marry as Arthur but die as Andrew

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 18:52 BST (UK) »
A Winifred M Rogers b 1884 died in 1958 in Chapel-en- le- Frith Derbyshire which ties in with the family story re: Derbyshire

Perhaps Andrew moved back to Hereford after Winifred died

Offline Megworcester

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 August 13 15:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the information. I have been able to confirm Arthur's father was Thomas by looking at the marriage register for St Mary's Warwick. I will try to get sight of the death certificate next.
I am not so convinced about Henry/Harry although I will follow up Harry and see if it produces any more leads.
Thanks for your help. :)