Author Topic: Plymouth Brethren -- Help needed  (Read 7817 times)

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Plymouth Brethren -- Help needed
« on: Monday 13 June 05 18:32 BST (UK) »
I need help to trace some of my ancestors from County Down, who were Plymouth Brethren. Anyone with info or old books or records out there.

OTTO

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: PLYMOUTH BRETHREN -- Help needed
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 02:12 BST (UK) »
Otto:
You got to my curiousity so I did a search.  Here is a site which seems to be quite thorough as to history of the Brethren. Some good bios too.   http://www.mybrethren.org/sitefram.htm

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 February 08 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello OTTO,

The Plymouth Brethren are a non-denominational Christian movement which originated in Ireland and England during the 1820s and 1830s. The founders of the movement were John Nelson Darby (an Anglo Irish evangelist), Dr Edward Cronin (who was a convert from Roman Catholicism), John Bellett, and Francis Hutchinson. www.plymouthbrethren.com There's another article on this site www.victorianweb.org/religion/plymouth.html

Christopher

Offline Mumsie2131

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Councillor John Heap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 March 08 00:28 GMT (UK) »
I had a colleague many years ago who was a 'Plymouth Brethren' - there was lots of long hair and no make up BUT lots of big cars  ;D ;D
As I remember it, they didn't have TV, the females didn't cut their hair or wear make up and there were other negatives BUT as I SAID THEY ALL HAD BIG, PRESTIGUOUS CARS.
Heap - Holmfirth WRY
Rhodes-Flockton WRY & NE Cheshire
Ridgway- NE Cheshire & Lancahire
Roebuck - Upperthong WRY
Wild - NECheshire
Riley - NE Cheshire & Derbyshire
Greaves - NE Cheshire & Lancashire

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 March 08 00:51 GMT (UK) »
I had a colleague many years ago who was a 'Plymouth Brethren' - there was lots of long hair and no make up BUT lots of big cars  ;D ;D
As I remember it, they didn't have TV, the females didn't cut their hair or wear make up and there were other negatives BUT as I SAID THEY ALL HAD BIG, PRESTIGUOUS CARS.

Obviously they saved the hairdressing and make-up money to run the big cars 8)

There are also Exclusive Brethren and Open Brethren ... www.brethrenassembly.org/articles/who_are_the_brethren.htm

The formal name of the Moravian Church is the Unitas Fratrum or Unity of the Brethren. Members of this chuch are referred to as the United Brethren (which shouldn't be confused with the Plymouth Brethren).

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 March 08 07:57 GMT (UK) »
That sounds like the Exclusive Brethren.

I grew up in the Open Brethren and sound nothing like that at all and we certainly didn't drive big cars  ::) ::)

The Exclusive shut themselves away effectively from the world and would not be part of it if at all possible but the Open are quite normal really.  We cut our hair, wear makeup, watch TV and mix with other people. 

Kerry  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Otto,

this is turning into a discussion about Plymouth Brethren, so I've moved it to the Common Room. 
Perhaps you could repost your query in Down, giving as much details (names, dates, places) as possible.

I'll add this topic inder Plymouth Brethren to the
RootsChat Reference Library => Lexicon (click here)

Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Plymouth Brethren -- Help needed
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Strangely - there is a Devon lookup request involving the PB

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,290007.0.html
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Doug Engle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Plymouth Brethren -- Help needed
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 08:57 BST (UK) »
I realize the OP is from 13 years ago, but I figured I'd weigh in just in case there was interest... I'm a church historian with special love for documenting the Plymouth Brethren, and networking likeminded people.  Some of us recently restarted a new Wiki chronicling some famous (and forgotten) PB... I've not blessing to announce it yet (still working on populating content) but I'd be more than happy to help anyone with researching PB ancestry, whether physical family, friends, or spiritual family (often a mix of the other two)... you can find me on Facebook under Doug Engle as well if you want to privately message... I live in Kansas (that'll narrow it down).  Also would love to learn from other historians with connections to the Brethren...