Author Topic: Possible additions to the Baron Baltimore pedigree  (Read 8484 times)

Offline Haninger7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Possible additions to the Baron Baltimore pedigree
« on: Thursday 01 August 13 00:37 BST (UK) »
Various Maryland genealogical bulletins available on Google Books come up with the following list of children for Benedict Calvert, 4th Baron Baltimore and Lady Charlotte Lee:

Charles Calvert, 5th Baron Baltimore
Benedict Leonard Calvert
Edward Henry Calvert m. Margaret Lee
Charlotte Calvert m. Thomas Brerewood
Jane Calvert, m. John Hyde of Kingston Lisle
Cecil Calvert
Anne Calvert
Barbara Calvert

Anne and Barbara are often assumed to have died young, but I've found this to not be the case, at least with Anne.  "Nanny Calvert" is mentioned in various family letters in the late 1720s and early 1730s, and "Miss Calvert" (presumably Nanny) is reported to have married a certain Mr. Rolf with issue, at least one daughter.

I also found the following family of interest, which appears to be connected:

James Brown and Elizabeth _____, of Wimbledon, Surrey.  Children:
Charlotte Brown b. 1726
Robert Brown b. 1727
James Brown b. 1729
Anne Brown b. 1732
Henrietta Calvert Brown b. 1726

There was another Brown baptized in 1726 in Westminster: John Calvert Brown, son of Thomas (?) and Isabella.  I've only been able to see the abstract of this record.

A certain John Brown acquired the manor of Mount Calvert in Prince George's County, Maryland, circa 1775, and established a tobacco plantation and mansion there.  As well as a planter, this John was a merchant and a breeder of racehorses.  He is sometimes referred to as Dr. Brown.  His property originally belonged to Philip Calvert, Governor of Maryland; for a long while I have thought John Brown to be connected to the Baltimore Barons, either by blood or marriage.  At one point I believed his first wife to have been a daughter of Walter Joyce and Jane Hyde (daughter of John Hyde and Jane Calvert), but have become unsatisfied with the evidence that originally led me to that belief.  I still believe in some sort of Calvert connection, but am unsure of precisely what it is.

Also, the sources that say John, Henry, and "Mary Calvert Hyde" were the only children of John Hyde and Jane Calvert are just plain wrong.  Baptismal and legal records reveal that John and Jane Hyde were the parents of at least twelve children -- John, Frederick, Charlotte, Anne, Diana, an unnamed son, Mary, Jane, Cecilia Barbara, George, Philip, and Catherine -- possibly among others.  I have yet to find primary evidence of a Henry Hyde or of Mary being the wife of George Mitchell and the mother of an Earl of Royalton, but I accept the possibility of their reality.

Catherine Hyde, the daughter of John and Jane (Calvert) Hyde, married Rev. Thomas Willis of Bletchley and has reasonably well-documented descent.  Her sister Jane Hyde married Walter Joyce; three daughters --- Anne, Jane, and Catherine --- were mentioned in their grandmother Hon. Jane (Calvert) Hyde's will, Anne being under 21 and unmarried at the time.  Also I've found Richard, an unnamed son, Bridget, and Margaret baptized to a certain Walter Joyce in Lancashire in the 1750s.

Cecil Calvert's will mentions Cecilius Newport, b. 1755, who appears to have been his natural son.

Charles Calvert, 5th Baron Baltimore, had a well-known illegitimate son, Benedict Swingate Calvert, but also at least two others who are mentioned in his will: Augustus Bressan Calvert and Charles Cecil Bressan Calvert, sons of his mistress Cecil Mignon Bressan.  A certain Mrs. Jane Newman is also well provided for in Charles Calvert's will, and appears to me to have been another mistress.  I have no idea who the mother of Benedict Swingate Calvert was, and am skeptical of the Melusina von der Schulenburg connection.