Author Topic: Looking for help with ancestors from Castletownroche  (Read 5654 times)

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for help with ancestors from Castletownroche
« on: Friday 02 August 13 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking to find out the name of the mother of my Great Great Grandmother Mary Daly from Castletownroche. I know the following - Mary Daly married Richard Woods on November 26, 1866 in Ballyhooley, Castletownroche. According to the marriage cert Mary was 21 and Richard was 19. Mary names her father on the marriage cert as Tad Daly a Labourer (however I have no clue what Tad is short for?). In the 1901 census Mary and Richard are living in Sleemana, Castletownroche, on the census Mary is listed as as 54 but Richard is listed as 65 which would contradict the marriage cert. By the 1911 census Mary is dead but again Richard Woods has his age down as 65. So from the above I can assume Mary was born sometime between 1845 - 1847 in Castletownroche, Mary called her first two daughters Annie and Catherine (so possible either of those is her mother's name as Richard's mother's name was Ellen). I have tried online records however I can find no exact match for a baptism of a Mary Daly in 1845 - 1847 with a mother Annie or Catherine and a Father called Tad (or some variation of it) - I was wondering if there is anyone out there who can advise or who has access to local parish records fro Castletownroche??   

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help with ancestors from Castletownroche
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 August 13 20:06 BST (UK) »
tad maybe short for thaddeus.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 August 13 20:48 BST (UK) »
are these the same family that are on family search in ballyhooley as the annie on the 1901 census is too young to have been born in the 1860s she should be in her late 20s unless the first  one died and another called after her, just bringing it to your notice in case you have the wrong family on census.

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 August 13 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Dathai,

Yes you are correct the first Annie died age 11 and they named another daughter born after her death Annie again.

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 August 13 20:58 BST (UK) »
I have tried every variation of Tad that I can think of - Thadeus, Tadhg, Edward (etc) (etc)

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have managed to work out that the names of my ancestors were Timothy (Tad) Daly and Catherine Roche, they married on 20 Feb 1844 in Castletownroche. Timothy is listed as address as Ballynamudack. One of the witnesses is called Eulick Roche - I have checked all online records are can find nothing else on him, could this name be spelt wrong? Can anyone else find any record in Castletownroche of a Eulick Roche?

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 20:23 GMT (UK) »
"Eulick Roche, could this name be spelt wrong?"

The more usual spelling nowadays is Ulick.   For other variations see link

http://www.behindthename.com/name/ulick

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 22:59 BST (UK) »
Please ignore the above about Timothy Daly and Catherine Roche.                                                I have since found that on the Griffiths valuation 1853 there is a Thaddeus Daly on Sleeman's Lane, Mallow with a house and yard. A Timothy Daly is also listed, as Mary was working as a servant in Castletownroche at the time of her marriage in 1866, she listed her father as Tad Daly. I think the Tad Daly from Sleeman's lane is her father, she said she was 21 at time of her marriage but I have found no baptism record for her in the 1840's, I also have found no mention of a Thaddeus Daly in the marriage records for Mallow or Castletownroche or areas in the 1830's or 1840's.I do know through DNA testing that there is a blood connection between Mary Daly and the children of John Roche and Catherine Daly who were married in Killavullen in 1860, their children were all born in Castletownroche - but finding it impossible to establish the exact connections here   

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 23:26 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.