Author Topic: Glover/Bainbridge in Kendal/Appleby  (Read 7695 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Glover/Bainbridge in Kendal/Appleby
« on: Friday 02 August 13 23:10 BST (UK) »
I'm revisiting my Westmorland ancestors and starting to remember why I gave up in the first place  ::) 

I know the coverage online is dire... unless I've missed any good sites! So I'm posting in the hope that someone can help me or advise me on where to find these things, if they can be found without travelling all the way to the RO (which I can't).

At the moment I have George GLOVER (no conclusive dates, poss 1766-1818) and Martha BAINBRIDGE (poss 1764), married 19 Nov 1797, Appleby (if the correct Martha... only seen on marriage!), two known children George 1802 and Mary 1804, both Kendal. The only christening I have yet seen that might be George Snr is one that is Roman Catholic, but there's no hint of that elsewhere in the family. The key will probably be any information on the marriage (I've not had much luck with that recently in any side of the family!) and if any children before George can be found  ???

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Glover/Bainbridge in Kendal/Appleby
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 August 13 09:19 BST (UK) »
Neither of these surnames is particularly common in Westmorland so that should make searching easier.  I always found the Carlisle record office very helpful and I have never been there.  You can always ask them to copy and send relevant parts of documents to you.

It is true that parish registers for Westmorland aren't generally available online but there are a few available via google books or the internet archive.  The edenlinks site is really useful and makes available the 18th century census for Westmorland.

I have no specific information about your query but there are Glovers from outside who are marrying in Westmorland by licence in the 18th century.
regards
Deborah

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 August 13 11:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I'll have a look at Carlisle.

Slightly confused about what 18th Century censuses are... I was of the understanding that anything pre-1841 was, for genealogy purposes, useless... unless Westmorland had their own system?
~Edit- just found reference to the "census of 1787", which sounds nice  ;D I've found a few Bainbridges on it (no Martha...) but no Glovers...

Offline Westmoreland

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 10:54 BST (UK) »
Greetings AYASHI
I have a large database on the appleby area and do not have either of your people
but Bainbridge and all its various ways of spelling is a very large family but no Martha
Do not go to Carlisle they will only send you to Kendal. The 1787 census will cover a major part of Westmorland bu some around Appleby is missing, The only Glovers I have for Appleby are Modern
If you want the Bainbridges I have send me a PM with your e:mail and I will Pass them on
Regards
Westmorland

Offline Westmoreland

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just looked up 1841 census
only one George Glover, Docker Hall Kendal b1803
wife Hannah b 1805
Jane 1830
Martha 1833
Alexander 1835
Ellen 1837
There is no Martha Bainbridge in the county of westmorland and the only martha Glover
is the one above
Hope it helps and if you already have this sorry
regard
westmorland

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 13:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Westmoreland, I do have the census but I appreciate the effort. It is George's parents that I'd got stuck on. I think I might have to accept that this one has come to a halt.

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 July 15 12:43 BST (UK) »
My direct matrilineal line goes back to Hannah Glover, born c1769, who seems to be the sister of your ancestor George. Their parents seem to be John and Margaret Glover (maiden name unknown). I know Hannah married Thomas Storey in 1793 and died in 1850. There was also another baptism record for a Margaret who seems to be the daughter of John and Margaret as well.

Stephen :)
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 July 15 02:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply :) I believe I found those children on John and Margaret (that being the Catholic christening mentioned in my original post) but my concern is that I don't have enough evidence to say that that George is my George. I have not looked at this side of the family in some time so I might have to revisit it tomorrow or at the weekend.

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 13:41 BST (UK) »
You're welcome.

Stephen :)
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk