Author Topic: Glover/Bainbridge in Kendal/Appleby  (Read 7694 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: Glover/Bainbridge in Kendal/Appleby
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 August 15 15:46 BST (UK) »
I've been having another look- I did find two christenings before for a George Glover (one with father "Johannis" and the other George) but I suspect the one with father George is an error, either in transcription or the original. I can see three siblings at the moment, Mary (1758-1774) Margaret and Anna (who you say became Hannah?)

Part of the problem for me, aside from being somewhat allergic to the evidence "it's the only one I can find", is that none of the names John, Margaret, Hannah or Anne appear in George's family. To make matters worse, I can only find two children for his marriage to Martha so those names could appear among any missing children.

While researching, I did have a look at James GLOVER and his wife Betty in Kendal. I can't seem to link the two families as yet, but it is interesting to note that George's son named his firstborn son James and I've been unable to find any source for this in the rest of the known family.

(Online Westmorland records aren't too great, are they?)

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 August 15 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
Is there any possibility that your George's parents came from Scotland or Northumberland?  All the Glover marriages in the 18th that have diocese of Carlisle licences involve someone from 'North Britain' (and Annandale in particular) or Northumberland.  Was there sufficient money for marriage licences to be feasible for the family you are researching?

I mentioned these marriages before.   I'm not trying to make facts fit - you may have strong reasons for discounting them and/or may already have the details.
regards
Deborah

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 August 15 17:07 BST (UK) »
Anything is possible. The problem is that I have very little evidence to support any theory put forward. I can't even prove that he came from the same area, much less if he came from further afield. With regards to money, George worked in the mills and Hannah also worked as a married woman, dying in the Alms houses, so it doesn't sound like they were too well off.

I don't know how much more information I might find in person if I were to look at the Westmorland records. Alas I am still not mobile and remain at the mercy of online records. (~Edit- re-read your earlier advice in the thread about archives offices etc... I'll have to have a proper read of the thread later, its been a while).

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 August 15 22:24 BST (UK) »
I just had what might either be termed a mini-breakthrough... or a complete nuisance lol!

I just found another child of my George and Martha Glover, not in Kendal, but for some bizarre reason, in Wigan (thanks Shute Barrington?). The most irritating thing is that she is the "second dau" and I can't find the first one  ::)
George, according to that record, is "native of Standishgate" although whether he was or not I don't know. Appleby to Wigan to Kendal is quite a trip though, I have to say. My gut feeling at the moment is that the Catholic christening is him, but I still don't feel I've got enough to prove it.

I do now suspect that John and Margaret had a son James 1760 (no christening, my conjecture). Of the children I've found, his first daughter was Peggy and his first son John. He sticks around in Kendal, although his burial and that of his wife were both Presbyterian.