Author Topic: Liverpool Grocers 1860 - 1920  (Read 2534 times)

Offline RodEast

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Liverpool Grocers 1860 - 1920
« on: Saturday 03 August 13 11:24 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with the history of two companies who were in Liverpool in the late 1800's and early 1900's.  The companies are W Brooks and Co. and J Brown and Co. wholesale provision merchants, Liverpool.  W J Brooks merged with the Thompson Family circa 1870.  Any information or location as to where I may seek it would be well received.
Many thanks
Rodeast

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool Grocers 1860 - 1920
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 August 13 18:13 BST (UK) »
In the 1968 edition of Kelly's Directoryof Liverpool W. Brooks & Co Ltd had a head office at Wolstenholme Square and 9 shops around the suburbs, as well as one in Wirral.   I would guess that they disappeared soon afterwards, but do not have access to later information or directories.
A

Offline Tomps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, just saw your very old post re my family's grocery business - W Brooks & co - did you find any info ?  I don't know much history beyond my own memories, which is what prompted me to idly do a google search - which threw up your search !  Best wishes

Offline spikeHCM681

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 October 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
My father worked for W Brooks & Co Ltd ( Established 1793)  Italian Grocers - from 1921 to 1979.

He worked in Eliott Street ( next to Owen Owens - opposite Clayton Square) until they were forced to move to Bold Street when St Johns Market was rebuilt. They had (I think) 14 branches throughout Merseyside including ones in Allerton road and Chelwood Avenue - he worked in both shops (part-time) after he had officially retired.
As I boy I used to go and meet him from work and they gave me my first holiday job when I was 14. Prior to that I used to go with Charlie the delivery driver to all the customers who rang their orders in to the shop. My Dad was the manager of the Despatch dept. and the Beer buyer. Hope this helps. Mike
P.S. My Dad got his job because his uncle ( Frank Robertson) was also a manager in the Main Branch in Eliott St.

Offline spikeHCM681

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 October 18 12:21 BST (UK) »
Re my previous post - all the Thompson Directors were known by  the staff as "Mr"  - followed by their first name or initials.
I remember "E.W."  and a younger nephew called (Mr) Tony. Cheers Mike

Offline Tomps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 October 18 14:40 BST (UK) »
Ah thanks for that Mike - my daddy was Mr Tony !  I had forgotten he was called that !  I was always called 'queen' because we lived over the water lol !  I remember the Bold Street branch, but mostly helped out (bit young for proper Saturday / holiday job) at the Woolton branch, I loved it.  Don't remember Charlie, but do remember making up and delivering Christmas hampers, can't remember if we delivered to customers or staff ?  I didn't think there were as many as 14 shops, I always thought it was nearer 5 or 6 ?  I think EW was probably dad's father Eric ?  Not aware of a brother but I may be wrong.  Thank you for sharing your memories :)

Offline spikeHCM681

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 November 18 07:30 GMT (UK) »
I think John Tushingham (Rita Tushingham's father) worked at Brooks at the same time as my Dad (John was a year older than my Dad). And Rita's brother - Peter - was trained by my Dad at Brooks. John Tushingham ended up with 3 grocers shops of his own in Garston.