Author Topic: Need help with James Auchterlonie from Ceres Fife  (Read 4692 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with James Auchterlonie from Ceres Fife
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 April 15 22:57 BST (UK) »
Ditto Seoras, one of my g'gramps was an Orkney ploughman on my grannys birth cert' & then in Queensferry building the stone piers of the Forth Bridge, following which he was a maltman in Leith.

Skoosh.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with James Auchterlonie from Ceres Fife
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 April 15 10:24 BST (UK) »
I clicked on the first link which Sheena-Ann Brown posted. That brought up an Auchterlonie Tree on Ancestry which says:
     "James Auchterlonie b Scotland, 14th Jan 1777 passed away 1884 in Scotland."
Another fine example of why you should never trust an online tree. I bet you that someone at some point has mistyped '1884' for '1848' and all the other so-called 'sources' have blindly copied the error without thinking.

The Fife Family History Society has a database of all recorded burials in Fife. It might be worth contacting them to ask what actual recorded and verified facts are available.

Moderator, why not move this thread to the Fife board?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.