Author Topic: Catherine Watt  (Read 6357 times)

Offline DonBell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Watt
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 January 16 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Are you still investigating the history of Catherine Watt and family?  Do you know the cause of death for Elizabeth Watt at the Aberdeen Lunatic Asylum?  Was it Huntingtons disease?  Alexander Pirie was my Great Great Grandfather. His first wife, Margaret Clubb died from what is now recognised as Huntington's disease at the Aberdeen Lunatic Asylum.   Quite a few of the children had this disease and died from Huntingtons.  This could establish a genetic link.  John Pirie was one of Alexander's sons.  Alexander moved to New Pitsligo somewhere between 1881 and 1891and lived at 129 High Street until his death in 1893 

Offline lynne_uk21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 April 18 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Don  Elizabeth died of Cardiovascular degeneration. Did your great great grandfather Alexander  work as carter? Elizabeth lived at 125 High street when she was born.in 1891 she lived 145 High st,then 142 high street I just wish I had more information on her father on her death certificate which my grandfather James was present stated John as her father he was a farm servant so this is what confuses me ,did my grandfather think his name was John as Elizabeth`s grandfather was called John?

Offline DonBell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 April 18 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne - sorry for delay in responding.  I am presently working on another part of our family.
Alexander Pirie was a farmer and retired to New Pitligo.  His sons James (my great grandfather) and John were both reported as coachmen in the census information.  James became a carter when he moved to New Zealand.  It seems they both worked with horses - probably not unusual in those days.

There seem to have been a number of "illegitimate" children at the time in Aberdeenshire.  We seem to have a few linked to our arm of the family.
I note that John Watt is recorded as the father of Elizabeth Watt born at Pitsligo, 11 Sep 1891.  Mother Ann. 

Offline lynne_uk21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 April 18 14:52 BST (UK) »
 Hi John
John Watt was Elizabeth Kelman Watt (Pirie) grandfather he was the informant at Elizabeth`s birth (20th Oct 1855)   I am not sure we have the same Elizabeth ? she went by previous names :
 Birth certificate she is registered as Elizabeth Kelman Watt no fathers name, she was living 125 High street .Marriage (17 Oct 1891) she is Eliza Perie, her father Alexander Pirie  (carter) deceased she was living 142 High street. Death (4th Feb 1934) she is Elizabeth Kelman Allan her father is John Pirie (farm servant ) deceased. I have been unable to find her father. Elizabeth had 3 children first son born  William Watt Pirie born (18 Nov 1872)  living  52 Low street, he  was named after her grandfather William Watt. Elizabeth changed her name from Watt to Pirie some time between 1855-1872. My grandfather her 2nd son was named James Ogston Norrie (23 Jul 1875) living Poor lodgings house, New Pitsligo,  his father was William Norrie from New Deer.James moved to England before 1901 and was the informant on Elizabeth`s death certificate in 1934. Elizabeth had her 3rd and last child  a daughter named Barbara Jane Duncan Pirrie ( 29 Oct 1886) 121  High street, again no father name Barbara left for Manitoba and married in Winnipeg 1911