Author Topic: Macleods of Achunahanait and various spellings there after  (Read 28294 times)

Online djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Macleods of Achunahanait and various spellings there after
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 30 March 14 13:28 BST (UK) »
Harbert: there's no evidence in the Durness records (which start in 1764) as to the grandfather of either Donald MacLeod, so your hypothesis cannot be proved or disproved.

The only MacLeod in my tree is Barbara nin Uisdean mac Uisdean (daughter of Hugh the son of Hugh) - she was from Durine, and married John MacPherson of Achiemore on the Cape side in July 1770, so at best she would be a first or second cousin of your Donald.

Offline harbert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 30 March 14 14:42 BST (UK) »
djct59  Thanks again for more useful information, I had gathered some facts from Ancestry tree hints, but as you know you can never trust things unless there is a ref number and originals. thanks again.

Offline debbiebozkurt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 11 April 14 08:49 BST (UK) »
I started this thread and there was some great information to read, thanks for all the help, I also see someone else is wading through this line too. I have now joined up all the brothers and 1 sister that I can see living of Angus the Red Macleod and with the helpfull offspring surviving until after 1855 where parents were mentioned on the death records I have been able to trace them to Latheron, Eddrechillis, Tongue and even Canada for John Mackenzie. I am still wading through the 1764 registers trying to translate the gaelic names to find and map all the off spring but I would like to just ask for help in the translation of a couple of names.

Flora Mackay (of Hope) married James Macleod (son of Donald Macleod jnr) in 1803, I can not find her baptism but on her death record her father is Donald Mackay and mother Ketty Mackay (the way it is written leads me to assume her maiden name was also Mackay. There is a marriage for a Donald Mackay alias Macneilicenicdicuilem in Mercen to Catherine Mackay alias nin Macenicneil at Hope 1777 - is anyone able to translate the alias for me. Thank you very much

Debs

Offline harbert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 11 April 14 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbiebozkurt,  I find this site amazing and it has made me carefully check my information. I have found:
Donald Macleod Macnishbhain born 1758 married Ann Dalrrymple or MacNishiciniconil 12th Jan 1799 in Durness, Sutherland. It appears they had James 1779 (DEC) Mary 1786 Janet and John 1788. My James (1779) joined the Army and was posted abroad, but whilst serving in Canada he married Mary Heglin a widow. I do have a copy of the marriage certificate from Canada on my file. I am still trying to work backwards, so and help is greatfully recieved.

Offline debbiebozkurt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 11 April 14 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbiebozkurt,  I find this site amazing and it has made me carefully check my information. I have found:
Donald Macleod Macnishbhain born 1758 married Ann Dalrrymple or MacNishiciniconil 12th Jan 1799 in Durness, Sutherland. It appears they had James 1779 (DEC) Mary 1786 Janet and John 1788. My James (1779) joined the Army and was posted abroad, but whilst serving in Canada he married Mary Heglin a widow. I do have a copy of the marriage certificate from Canada on my file. I am still trying to work backwards, so and help is greatfully recieved.

I do have some different information:

Donald married Ann Mackay 1779 bride was from Hope, Durness, their first son James was born Dec 1779 Hope, as was their son Hugh and other children, they appeared to have made their home in the brides township.

James married Flora Mackay 14 March 1803 Hope and all his 5 known children was born at Hope as follows; Neil ch. 14 June 1805, Dol ch. 15 February 1808, Catherine 22 August 1811, Ann 29 January 1814 and Mary b. 1816.

Hope was part of Bighouse Estate in 1819 when there were 7 tenants – by 1840 was turned into a sheep farm. In 1809 according to Durness Militia records James Macleod was a labourer from Hope under the age of 30 and a volunteer By 1841 James Macleod (mentioned on Flora burial inscription) had died and his widow and family were living at Skinnid near Melness, a township with 31 crofts in 1891.

Kind Regards

Debbie

Online djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 11 April 14 22:29 BST (UK) »
Debbie: Macneilicenicdicuilem is "son of Neil the son of Kenneth the son of William", or perhaps "son of Neil the son of John the son of William".

Reverend Thomson transcribed Gaelic phonetically - "Mic Enic" could be "Mac Coinneach" (son of Kenneth) or "Mac ean mhic" (son of John the son of) - the rogue "d" suggests version 1 is preferable, but others may disagree.

Macenicneil is easier; that is "son of John the son of Neil".

The difficulty for any researcher is that fair-haired Angus MacLeod had two sons called Donald: Donald mhor, married to Barbara Campbell Grange and Donald beag married to Ann MacKay/Dalrymple in Hope, and in addition there was a shoemaker in Alt-na-Ceallich called Donald MacLeod, who married a Janet MacKenzie

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 12 April 14 05:10 BST (UK) »
My copy of Hew Morrison's transcript of the Parish Register of Durness does show the marriage of Donald MacLeod junr. to Ann Mackay on 12 Jan 1779 (not 1799). Their aliases are shown as noted above. However, the entry recording the baptism of the son, James, on 19 Dec 1779 shows the mother as Ann Dalrymple, but her alias is the same, or almost the same. I think the "marriage" alias is incorrect and her patronymic should be nin Nish mac Ean mhic Dhonil, which I read as a phonetic rendering of daughter of Angus, son of John, son of Donald. Donald's patronymic is given as mac Nish bhain ( son of fair Angus). The minister notes that Donald is commonly called "little Donald Bain'

I think it is a reasonable assumption that Ann MacKay and Ann Dalrymple are the same person. When their son Hugh's baptism is recorded on 1 April 1782, Ann Mackay is shown as the mother but is given an alias of Dalrymple. However, she is given a different patronymic, " nin mac achin mhic dhonil" note that I have separated  the names in the patronymic; it is recorded as one word. This one is a bit of a mixture but I read it as daughter of Hector, son of Donald. Perhaps the minister got it wrong?

I hope this helps.
IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 12 April 14 05:40 BST (UK) »
I apologize for the repetition of information previously given. I should have read the whole thread before I responded. ( I have been without a computer for a week or so)

I did notice the baptism of a George (MacLeod) on 26 Mar 1766, father Angus MacLeod, alias Bain. Possibly a brother of Donald.

IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline debbiebozkurt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 12 April 14 07:43 BST (UK) »
Dear All

I had spotted George too and thought perhaps the youngest son of Angus which would fit in with the other children being born from mid 1740s onwards.

I have discovered some interesting things and I wonder with your local knowledge whether you could recommend books on clearance and areas cleared to.

I discovered Hugh son of Donald Bain More in Latheron, since Hugh Macleod born around 1771 Durness appeared too be the only one born around that period I coughed up for the certificate on line and yes it states Hugh Macleod father Donald Macleod mother Barbara Campbell (happy to share if anyone wants any - message me). I searched around Latheron area and found Mary Macleod single from Durness again got her death records and she was also the daughter of Donald Macleod and Barbara Campbell but her death was witnessed by Donald Sutherland brother! Finding her on the census she was with Donald Sutherland who was considerable younger also from Durness.

I went back to the Durness records and there I found 2nd December John Sutherland 2 December 1783 married to Barbara Campbell widow from Achunahanait - Donald Macleod More must have died between his birth of his daughter Janet in 1779 and 1783. With Mary on one of the census was Hughina Sutherland who was also her sister born 1796. Looking at the age of Hughina Barbara Campbell must have been quite young when she married Donald Macleod More.

Would love to know if the whole family were cleared to Latheron as at the same time I also found Neil born 29 May 1794 Durness to Murdoch Macloed Bain living in Latheron - also have his death records which confirm father Murdoch Macleod mother Barbara nee Mackay. I have the last daughter born to Murdoch 15 June 1803 Jean but there is also a John Macleod born in Latheron to Murdoch Macleod 1809 not have not managed to traced John to the same family. Still searching.

I have traced Barbara Macleod Bain through 2 marriages and the family moved from Mussel to Dalnaherve, where her last two children were born to John Mackenzie and her only daughter Janet from Alexander Campbell were married from. The family the seem to move to Eddrachillis as at least Mary and Angus (children of John Mackenzie) married and lived there. Mary married Hugh Mackenzie who was a forester and yesterday I discovered his will but have yet to purchase it.

I found John Macleod Bain traveled to Canada on the Elizabeth and Ann 1806 but the records relating to Pictou Nova Scotia are poor on line thereafter.

Yet to find out what happened to Angus Macleod Bain jnr after his son was born 1776 my next job.

Any thoughts on the clearances gratefully received writing all my notes up now so if anyone wants a copy when I have completed them feel free to ask. Also apologies for the spelling, although I live in Coll, Isle of Lewis and have a small understanding of Gaelic names through my research on the island I am a Londoner so get very confused.

Regards

Debs