Author Topic: Macleods of Achunahanait and various spellings there after  (Read 28291 times)

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Macleods of Achunahanait and various spellings there after
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 August 13 18:41 BST (UK) »
It would be interesting to compare. My ascent is as follows:
Donald Ross Morrison (grandfather) Lerin 1871
John Morrison(g grandfather) Lerin  1844
Donald Morrison: Balamhulich; 14 Nov, 1813 to Hugh Morrison & Fairley Reay MacCuloch (nblw)
Hugh Morrison; Achins of Cnocbreac; 19 June 1793 to John Morrison* & Christina Calder, alias Donn

*alias macUilliam macHustian macAchin ruaidh (William; Hugh; red-haired Hector)

A distant cousin, Hugh, operates Smoo Cave Hotel and he and his wife operate 2 other B&Bs, one of which is at Morvern, the croft where my grandfather was born (just before you come to Smoo Cave Hotel). I have visited several times. The other side of my family are Mackays and Sutherlands from Sangomore.

IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 August 13 21:13 BST (UK) »
*Your* John Morrison was a joiner in Durine who married the widow Christian Calder at Rispond in February 1792.

*My* John Morrison MacUileam MacHustain was on Islandhall (Eilean Choraidh) married to Catherine MacKay in 1766. He had a brother Hugh, a tenant in Ceannabeinne. The last of John and Catherine's ten children was born in 1787. His wife bore two pairs of twins in quick succession, but i can't rule out a fairly early death for her. It is possible that they're one and the same, as he would have been about 45-50 years old in 1792, with several dependent children, so might well have remarried a local widow. He had been a boatman at Rispond in 1780.

My descent is through his ninth child Catherine, who married Alexander Munro in 1804. Their daughter Ann married a William Morrison.

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 August 13 22:30 BST (UK) »
Some years ago I tried to reconcile the Morrisons having the patronymic "macUlileam mac Hustian" with those Morrisons having the patronymic "macUilleam macHustian 'icAchin ruaidh" but was unsuccessful. There were too many overlapping dates, even allowing for the long childbearing years of some of the families.

There is a huge website, database "J&Jroots", or something similar, that shows at least 2 generations prior to Eachann ruadh, although there is no citation to back this up. When I contacted one of the sister/authors asking the source, her reply was "church records". I doubt this and did not follow it any further.

Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 August 13 22:41 BST (UK) »
The fact that both Johns had a connection to Rispond (a hamlet of fewer than twenty dwellings) is interesting, but hardly persuasive, given how common the surname was, and still is locally.

There are, as you rightly surmise, no church records of any sort in Durness prior to 1764, so anything  more than three generations back, unless relating to an aristocrat, is pure conjecture.

Offline ian_morison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 02:22 GMT (UK) »
Greetings,
               my name  is Ian Morison and I live in Melbourne Australia.
By chance I have stumbled upon your post and find it interesting for a number of reasons.

I have  GGGG Grandfather named Hugh Morison,reported in our family history as coming from Isle of Lewis,born about 1745. I have managed to find his wife and children but would love to find his brothers/sisters/father/ mother etc.
I noticed from your post the mention of the gaelic names (MacUileam Machustian) and a connection to the MacLeods.I have noticed these names in my genealogy searches and would love to have them explained in regards to the Morison surname.
I have just had my DNA tested and found there is a close connection to some MacLeod surnames as well as to some Morison's from Sutherland.
Why I am writing is that you mention that your ancestor John had a brother Hugh , tennant in Ceannabeinne.......
My  first question is could this be my GGGG Grandfather Hugh ? (who married a Janet Ross in Edinburgh 1768 ).
Second question is are the Morison's related to the Macleods?
Third would really appreciate any help or general info you might have.

My email is *
Regards
ian Morison
(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Uistean is certainly Hugh.

Skoosh.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 21:16 GMT (UK) »
The Clan MacLeod originated in the Outer Hebrides, so MacLeod would be a pretty common surname on Lewis. The MacLeods in this thread are MacLeods of Assynt; a sept that settled on the Mainland in the MacKay country of northern Sutherland in the 15th century. Thus by the 1740s the two groups, though sharing some common ancestry, had diverged by some distance. the surname MacLeod is thus  fairly common in Sutherland.

Morrison is also not an uncommon name on Lewis. A nineteenth century history by Leonard Allison Morrison, published in Boston, Mass., states "Many sanguinary battles, still recounted by tradition , were fought between the McLeods and Macaulays on one side and the Morisons on the other.At last the Morisons were forced to leave Lewis and take refuge with that part of their clan which was settled in Duirness (sic) and Edderachyllius (sic), Sutherland, where still, in 1793,the natives were all, except a few,of the three names of Mac Leay, Morison or Mcleod."

Even by 1765, though, the Morrisons could be traced back three generations in Durness, and it remains a common local surname to this day.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I think the Raasay Macleods are from the same stock and also those of Geanes in Easter Ross.

Skoosh.

Offline ian_morison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your replies.I realise my questions ..were a bit vague...any suggestions how to locate the record of GGGG Grandfather Hugh morison ,born about 1745 Isle of Lewis.Would love to find his brothers and sisters and father mother etc.There is a close DNA match to  George Morison of Sutherland born  about 1800.
Thanks( from far away!)
Ian Morison