Author Topic: Andrew Muir  (Read 4177 times)

Offline jonacris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Muir
« on: Sunday 04 August 13 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have tried all sorts of combinations on ScotlandsPeople in an attempt to find the date of birth of great-grandfather Andrew Muir.
His parents were James Muir (b.1817) and Elisabeth Hamilton (b.1820) and the 1851 Census shows him as age 1, living in Darvel, and birthplace as Loudoun.
The 1861 Census shows him as age 11 born in Darvel.
His Marriage Certificate of 2nd December 1873 shows his age as 22.
His age is shown as 73 on his Death Certificate of 28 Mar 1926.
I have found records of the birth of his siblings William and Margaret but can find no record of the birth of Andrew or his sister Elizabeth.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Muir
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 August 13 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Have you tried looking under the name Mair?
I have an ancestor with the surname Mair/Muir in Loudoun Parish around the 1850's (I don't think she is connected to your James Muir or Andrew and his siblings), but obviously as she was unable to write and depended on others writing her name - therefore the spelling varied. People spelled names as they heard them.
Looby  :)   

Offline jonacris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 August 13 23:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. I never thought of that and have just been on ScotlandsPeople following your advice, unfortunately to no avail.
I tried surnames that begin with M, and a wildcard in place of the U in Muir. I even tried a wildcard in place of the D in Andrew and forenames that begin with An. All of those in various combinations yet he still remains elusive!
Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply
Best regards, John

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 August 13 23:37 BST (UK) »
It may be , unfortunately that there is no record of Andrew or Elizabeth's birth. As you are probably aware they were born before compulsory registration and you are relying on Old Parish Records. Their parents would have had to pay the church to have the birth recorded (same applied to a  christening too).
Andrew was one of 9 children and it looks like 2 others born before 1855 were not in the Old Parish Records either.
Looby :)

Offline jonacris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 09:16 BST (UK) »
I found William born (03  Feb 1843 baptism 15 Oct 1843) and Margaret (born 15 Nov 1844 baptism 15 Dec 1844) on both ScotlandsPeople and Ayrshire Roots, Loudoun births which is why it is so frustrating that I cannot find Elizabeth (Elisabeth) or more particularly Andrew, even when I widen the search to include all of Scotland.
Perhaps times were harder after the arrival of their first 2 children which is why they couldn't afford to register the births of Andrew and his sister.
Thanks again
Best regards, John

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 09:54 BST (UK) »
Found this on Familysearch. Maybe you've seen it already.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/S1MC-Q5S

Clicking on James Muir and Elisabeth Hamilton's name gives more info. Some-one has submitted this info to the site. You would need to verifiy it on Scotland's People yourself to be sure it's accurate.

Best wishes,
Looby :)

Offline jonacris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 22:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that link, I hadn't seen it but shall certainly be taking a look.
Best regards, John

Offline donna2492002

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 July 15 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi i am doing a search for a john watson muir richmond born 25/08/1937 for many years now, john watson muir richmond was born at Kilwinning maternity hospital, kilwinning, ayrshire, scotland. His last known address was in Harlesden London roughly 50 years ago. His mothers name was Jane Dale/Richmond, fathers name Matthew Richmond (son of Jessie Muir and Andrew Richmond). If anyone knows anything please please please could you get in contact with me at donna2492002@yahoo.co.uk. Thank you so much!!!
Donna

P.s I have a family tree which shows James Muir D.O.B 1817 Died 1879, Elisabeth Hamilton D.O.B 20/6/1820 Loudon Ayrshire Scotland
Their children Andrew Muir D.O.B 1850 Loudon Ayrshire Scotland, Elizabeth Muir D.O.B 1846 Chapelton Lanarkshire Died 29/12/1930 Darvel Ayrshire Scotland Married a George Torrance
Their are another 4 Siblings a Jessie Muir D.O.B Dec 1853 (Nan of John Watson Muir Richmond) she married Andrew Richmond D.O.B 17/11/1856.
Also a brother to Andrew and Elisabeth is John Muir D.O.B 26/9/1856 and 2 sisters Mary Hamilton Muir D.O.B 2/11/1858 and Ellen Muir D.O.B 10/5/1861
Margaret and William you have said you already have but I have D.O.B for both if you need them.

Hope this helps jonacris

Offline Baird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Private 10576 Thomas Baird 1890 - 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 July 15 11:26 BST (UK) »
I have a marriage between a David Muir and a Dunlop Gibson with some interesting lines. They were in Dundonald . I have found 6 Muir children born Dundonald between 1829 and 1847;Isabella, Mary, Sarah, John , Arthur and Robert.
Let me know if this helps.
Baird
Rutherglen;Baird/Adair/Ferguson/Reid
Strathaven;Shearer , Orr
Beith;Steel 
Glasgow;Donnelly,McSorley,Burns
County Tyrone;McSorley
Eaglesham;Paton
 All;McAlonan and variants 
Sligo;Burns 
2nd. bat Seaforth Highlanders 1914-16.
2nd. bat. KOSB 1914-18.