Author Topic: William Jones Grocer  (Read 7745 times)

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Jones Grocer
« on: Sunday 04 August 13 23:45 BST (UK) »
I'm looking into the family of a Mr. William Jones, Grocer, who married an Elizabeth Edwards in 1791, Cowen. He had the following children: Thomas (b.1796), Elizabeth (1794), Margaret(1799), Edward (1805), Erasmus (1797) - all born in Corwen. Erasmus it would seem followed his father as a grocer and died in 1850. Also, he appears to be the only father in the baptism records to have 'Mr.' by his name and am curious if this signifies anything?

William and Elizabeth's marriage record shows William being 'botp' (born of this parish), although they were married by license which I read was usually when the husband wasn't born in the same parish? I can't find any convincing baptism record for him and wondered if he could perhaps be born in a neighbouring parish? (I only have the Corwen parish booklets).

I'm investigating him as he appears as a signatory on a few documents of Thomas Jones, shopkeeper d.1829, and likewise Thomas Jones is a signatory on his probate record. I have posted previously about this Thomas Jones, but it would seem that on William's probate record he is recorded as 'of Tir Llanerch', so any information on this would also help.

Both William and Thomas also appear on the will (as witnesses) of John Evans of Ty Isa d.1825, who pre-deceased his father Edward Evans. He may or may not be a relation. Way back in 1719, there's a will of Thomas Jones of Ty Isa who I suspected to be related, but am now having doubts as the will of John Evans said that it had been owned previously by his father, then grandfather, Thomas Evans, then a John Eyton who appears unrelated altogether. This Edward Evans then appears as a witness on Thomas Jones d.1829 probate record. I know how common the house name 'Ty Isa' is, but am confident it's the same place.

This is all highly confusing but any initial thoughts on William Jones' family would be appreciated! I can't find anything myself.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: William Jones Grocer
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 August 13 17:21 BST (UK) »
The marriage entry at Corwen states against both persons 'of this parish' - this means that they were both resident in the parish for the necessary time before and not necessarily that they were born in the parish.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 August 13 17:24 BST (UK) »
Ok thanks - it's just that the transcripts at least seem to differentiate between 'otp' and 'botp' which made me wonder!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 August 13 17:40 BST (UK) »
botp means both of the parish not 'born'  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 August 13 17:47 BST (UK) »
Ok thanks Rosie this makes more sense now!

If anyone has access to any neighbouring parishes then could they please see if there's a likely William Jones/or Thomas Jones!

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 August 13 21:44 BST (UK) »
It would be useful to clarify when William died.Your description suggests to me the William Jones of the 1805 bond who couldn't be a witness in the 1820s-I think this was his son Erasmus.
As an aside Pigot's Directories of 1828-9 and 1844 at www.historicaldirectories.org lists under Corwen

1828-9
Jones,Elizabeth and Son,grocers,drapers,druggists,ironmongers and tallow chandlers

Jones Erasmus   (as above but no "druggist")
Jones Erasmus   confectioner and seedsman

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 15:19 BST (UK) »
The John Evans shopkeeper(died 1825) was only 22 years old-could two of the
witnesses,Erasmus and Thomas Jones(shopkeepers)  be brothers,sons of William?
Thomas Jones,shopkeeper,died 1829 was probably born 1792 according to a possible burial record.
I know this birth date is slightly different to  the one you specified,but the burial record for Erasmus in 1850 also yields a different birth date(also 1792!)
Whether or not they are brothers and sons of William,the link to the Evans family may come from an 1819 marriage in Corwen of Thomas Jones to Margaret Evans.The widow of Thomas in 1829 is given as Margaret.

Regards
Roger

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 18:09 BST (UK) »
Roger thanks for your messages and pointing this out. In that case I have the wrong Thomas Jones. Could you find the burial record/will for Thomas Jones who had his son born in 1776. His son moved to Chester, but then moved back to Corwen between about 1825 and 1835 and then back to Chester - I presumed this burial record was the reason for this but I'm now at a loss finding the correct man. I suppose it's possible that he moved to Chester and was buried there with his son but any assistance would be appreciated.

There is a marriage between Thomas jones and Margaret jones in 1768 which is possible but again if you can find a likely burial record it would be a great help! 

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 22:46 BST (UK) »
Roger,

There is a will of a Thomas Jones d.1817 which is possible. Could you please see if this gives his age/any other details as I only have the pre-1812 parish records!

This burial was in Llandrillo so not sure if you access to these records!

Many thanks,
Jones9