Author Topic: Which Army uniform  (Read 13828 times)

Offline smeghead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • PINK FLOYD
    • View Profile
Re: Which Army uniform
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 18 October 06 23:38 BST (UK) »
Now over a year on since i tryed to identify army uniform still none the wiser anyone got any fresh information??????

Jim
Jeves, Sparkes, Downton, Chaney, Digby, Jenkins, Taylor, Hiscock, NOAKE, McCabe, Harman, Cuffay, Lloyd, Jamieson Lister,Rimmer,Kryten, Kochanski, Holly                                            Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smeghead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • PINK FLOYD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 03 November 06 22:55 GMT (UK) »
I finally have his first name Which is Charles Taylor occupation Color Sergeant. Can anyone tell me where I can find more information on his army career regiment etc now i have the first name

Jim
Jeves, Sparkes, Downton, Chaney, Digby, Jenkins, Taylor, Hiscock, NOAKE, McCabe, Harman, Cuffay, Lloyd, Jamieson Lister,Rimmer,Kryten, Kochanski, Holly                                            Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smeghead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • PINK FLOYD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 05 November 06 20:17 GMT (UK) »
I have found out that his wife and daughters lived in Belfast also that Charles died at around 1905 as my Gr Gr grandmother remarried in 1910

Jim

Offline smeghead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • PINK FLOYD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 10 November 06 22:52 GMT (UK) »
I now think he was part of the warwickshire regiment for some reason he never got sent to Rourke's RIF perhaps because he was a color sergeant and was responsible for recruiting the picture I now put at an earlier date of 1880 and have zoomed the number which could be a 24 with a spinc above later they became the south wales borders I am now studying uniforms from the Zulu campaign and the sleeve looks very similar to a welsh borderer in the famous film

Jim

Offline smeghead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • PINK FLOYD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 16 March 07 00:03 GMT (UK) »
At long last the puzzle has been solved I found Charles Taylor colr sergt 1st lancashire fussiliers in the 1891 scottish census in Lanarkshire at a military barrack  it says he was born in England How can i now get his millary record which will give me more information do I have to go to kew or can i get it online ????

Jim

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 17 March 07 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Good to see you have found Charles' regiment.  Eventually all the military records available will be online - an awful lot of the records were destroyed in WW2 bombing.

The first recent release of these are only for the initials A and B.  However, the link below should explain things in more detail.  Perhaps it will take a few years for all names to be searchable.  ::)

http://content.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=1114&ti=5538&r=5538&o_xid=30351&o_lid=30351&offerid=0%3a7935%3a0

Anne
Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 10 March 18 15:46 GMT (UK) »
At long last the puzzle has been solved I found Charles Taylor colr sergt 1st lancashire fussiliers in the 1891 scottish census in Lanarkshire at a military barrack  it says he was born in England How can i now get his millary record which will give me more information do I have to go to kew or can i get it online ????
Jim

I’m sorry that I’ve only just seen this thread Jim, but I can confirm that he is a Colour Sergeant of the Lancashire Fusiliers, before 1881 the 20th Regiment of Foot.  The shoulder strap badge was a grenade above the block letters LF.  The Austrian cuff knot indicates that he was attached to one of the regiment’s Volunteer Battalions (VB) of Part-time citizen soldiers.  The regimental depot was in Bury

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 10 March 18 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Surprising it's taken so long. Can only mean the experts (I'm not one of them) were not on RC back in 2006. As a new request today, you would have only had to wait until tomorrow, at most, for an ID.

There were 2 cavalry and 14 infantry regiments in Zulu War. There were supposed to be 5 columns attacking, maybe reduced to 4, from North, West and South. Indian Ocean to the East. The Zulu's were doomed.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline smeghead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • PINK FLOYD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 12 March 18 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you frogsmile