Author Topic: Which Army uniform  (Read 13825 times)

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WHICH ARMY UNIFORM
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 07:20 BST (UK) »
hello folks,the man is a col/sgt in the infantry,the crossed flags of st george means his regt has white facings to their uniforms,bedfords,leicesters,northants,york+lancs,are four of those regts,manmack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 08:37 BST (UK) »
The South Wales Borderers, who were prominent at Rorke's Drift, also has white facings at about that time. They changed to light green facings after about 1890. I would not have a clue as to whether they would wear crossed flags of St. George though - assuming that we are looking at such. 8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline percy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Just and Fear Not
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 11:25 BST (UK) »

Hackstaple, as so often seems to have got it right.

If the Regiment was in Ireland untill 1889 --- and the lady was Irish --- then this MAY well be their Wedding photograph ; and very likely bang on Hackstaple's date of 1887.

PERCY
HEWITT :  ROSA : (FULLER)SANDYS  :

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 11:40 BST (UK) »
Percy - thanks for the compliment but my ears are burning and I am blushing as I write. 8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smeghead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • PINK FLOYD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 12:52 BST (UK) »
If this is the wedding photograph my gr grandmother i think was born between 1883 and 1885 but do not know this for certain when she was still alive she was always uncertain about her exact age

jim
Jeves, Sparkes, Downton, Chaney, Digby, Jenkins, Taylor, Hiscock, NOAKE, McCabe, Harman, Cuffay, Lloyd, Jamieson Lister,Rimmer,Kryten, Kochanski, Holly                                            Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline percy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Just and Fear Not
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 14:48 BST (UK) »

If you have the husband's name , try looking for them in the 1891 UK Census -- with a young daughter.

Percy.
HEWITT :  ROSA : (FULLER)SANDYS  :

Offline StuMhaol

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Miseris Succurrere Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 18:46 BST (UK) »
I put the photo through photoshop to try and pick some more of the detail out, especially on the shoulder. I inverted the image and what appears to be a number 17 is on the shoulder which would indicate that this man could have been in the British 17th Regiment which became the Leicestershire regiment in 1881. But then above that is what appears to be the badge of a Fusilier regiment, so he could also have belonged to a battalion of a Fusilier regiment.

Durham - Knox
North Yorkshire - Storr, Davison, Baxter
West Yorkshire - Tingle, Hatfield, Land
Scotland - McMillan, McCafferty, Lonie, Spence, Martin, Greig, Craigen, McDonald
Ireland - McCafferty

Offline StuMhaol

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Miseris Succurrere Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 19:31 BST (UK) »
I put the photo through photoshop to try and pick some more of the detail out, especially on the shoulder. I inverted the image and what appears to be a number 17 is on the shoulder which would indicate that this man could have been in the British 17th Regiment which became the Leicestershire regiment in 1881. But then above that is what appears to be the badge of a Fusilier regiment, so he could also have belonged to a battalion of a Fusilier regiment. Suppose he could also be a Royal Engineer who also wore the grenade emblem on their epaulets. Hmmm.

Durham - Knox
North Yorkshire - Storr, Davison, Baxter
West Yorkshire - Tingle, Hatfield, Land
Scotland - McMillan, McCafferty, Lonie, Spence, Martin, Greig, Craigen, McDonald
Ireland - McCafferty

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 20:30 BST (UK) »
Sudsone,

I don't think they used numbers after the Cardwell reforms of 1881 in this way, but I might be wrong!

The "17" could be a set of Prince of Wales feathers. Look at the crossed stalks just visable below the "numbers" and then look at the "feathers"; can you make out one left and right, with the top of the "7" turned as the top of the third feather.

If that is the case and it is a grenade above it could this be the Royal Welsh Fusiliers? But they had blue colars and cuffs!

Just a thought

Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.
Sussex, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, to name but a few!