Author Topic: Which Army uniform  (Read 13826 times)

Offline smeghead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • PINK FLOYD
    • View Profile
Which Army uniform
« on: Monday 13 June 05 22:50 BST (UK) »
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHICH ARMY UNIFORM MY GR GR GRANFATHER IS WEARING WHICH REGIMENT ETC

JIM
Jeves, Sparkes, Downton, Chaney, Digby, Jenkins, Taylor, Hiscock, NOAKE, McCabe, Harman, Cuffay, Lloyd, Jamieson Lister,Rimmer,Kryten, Kochanski, Holly                                            Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
Re: WHICH ARMY UNIFORM
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 June 05 23:35 BST (UK) »
I don't know Jim, but somebody on here will ... I just had to comment and say what a wonderful photograph .....

Su
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline smeghead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • PINK FLOYD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 June 05 23:43 BST (UK) »
THANKS SUE.
                     I HAVE A COLLECTION OF PHOTOS LIKE THESE BUT DO NOT KNOW WHO THEY ARE OF THEY BELONGED TO MY GREAT GRANDMOTHER WHO DIED IN 1977 AND WERE FOUND IN MY GRANDMOTHERS ATTIC UNFORTUNALLY I SHOULD HAVE STARTED MY FAMILY TREE WHEN MY GRANDMOTHER WAS ALIVE ALTHOUGH I DID HAVE A  GO AT IT IN 1988 BUT NO INTERNET THEN ALL RESEARCH HAD TO BE DONE AT SOMERSET HOUSE AND STOPPED AFTERGOING TO SOMERSET HOUSE TWICE

JIM
Jeves, Sparkes, Downton, Chaney, Digby, Jenkins, Taylor, Hiscock, NOAKE, McCabe, Harman, Cuffay, Lloyd, Jamieson Lister,Rimmer,Kryten, Kochanski, Holly                                            Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 10:45 BST (UK) »
Jim,

Here are  a few thoughts to start with. The uniform is (I think) infantry of the line, full dress, about 1870 or 1880. It should be worn with a belt (see the belt support under the right arm and the marks on the tunic.)

The chevrons at the top of the sleve mark him as a sergent; the crown above as a staff Sergent. The crossed flags probably mean that he was part of the Regimental Colour Party (ie the flag with the battlehonours) so was probably known as a Colour Sergeant. This is further supported by the sash, another indicator of a Senior NCO in a Colour Party.

The jacket is roughly the same colour as the sash, so it is most likely a red / scarlet colour; the trousers are a darker hue, so probably dark blue. This with the uniform arrangement of the seven buttons on the tunic / jacket would normally indicate "infantry of the line". It is unlikely that he is in a support Corp (ie Engineers or Artillery).

The Crossed rifles at the cuff usually indicate that the soldier is a marksman of some kind. The crossed flags above the chevron have the cross of St George, so this is an English Regiment (ie not Scots, Irish or Welsh). The collar and cuffs are a light colour, which can indicate a regiment such as the Buffs ro the Grenadier Guards, but this is not a statement that this is the regiment!

Any chance of a close-up of the buttons, the collar or epaulet insignia?

Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.
Sussex, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, to name but a few!

Offline percy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Just and Fear Not
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 11:32 BST (UK) »

Hi Jim,

I agree with Rod's fine analysis -- but not with his date.   From the lady's costume, I think this is more like 1890. 

It occurs to me that this may well be  your great grandmother's parents -- as you say it was among her possessions kept by your grandmother.  They very likely show in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 Censuses.

It should be comparatively easy to work backwards, from your own parents and grandparents names, to find out .   

What a super picture.  What a fine looking couple.  What a breed they were in those days.

PERCY 
HEWITT :  ROSA : (FULLER)SANDYS  :

Offline smeghead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • PINK FLOYD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 12:19 BST (UK) »
MY GR GR GRANDMOTHER WAS IRISH A JULIA CRONIN MY GR GR GRANFATHER MET HER WHILE STATIONED IN IRELAND DO NOT KNOW HIS FIRST NAME BUT SURNAME WAS TAYLOR MY GR GRANDMOTHER HAD SAID HE WAS IN A WELSH REGIMENT BUT GOING BY THE UNFORM LOOKS LIKE A ENGLISH UNIFORM.

JIM

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 14:40 BST (UK) »
I will go with 1890, but the dress seems a bit fussy for the late 1890s.

The Regiment may not be English, but it may be welsh; or a half and half unit. Have a look at the 24th Foot, South Wales Borderer's, for example (who before 1881 were the 2nd Warickshires)

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/024SWB.htm

If he was a Colour Sergeant around 1890, it should be easy for the Regimental Association or Museum to trace him. Try getting in contact with them for some more advise.

Good luck with the search

Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.
Sussex, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, to name but a few!

Offline smeghead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • PINK FLOYD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 22:33 BST (UK) »
I HAVE NOW DONE A LITTLE BIT OF RESEARCH AND THINK HE WAS A MEMBER OF THE WELSH BORDERS I HAVE SPOKEN TO MY MUM WHO SAID THAT HIS REGIMENT WAS INVOLVED AT ROUKES RIFF IN THE ZULU WARS BUT HE WAS TO YOUNG FOR THIS IN 1881 TO 1889 THE FIRST BATTALION WERE STATIONED AT VARIOUS POINTS AROUND IRELAND WHERE MY GR GR GRANDMOTHER CAME FROM WHICH I BELEVE TO BE CORK

MANY THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP

JIM

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 22:51 BST (UK) »
Rod's date may be reasonably close but so is the idea of 1890. You will see that the dress has no sign of the puffed up sleeves called "leg of mutton" and those were almost universal in 1890 and huge by 1895, disappearing in 1907 or so. At the same time one can see the dress skirt has a small  bustle. But 1870 would be too early as the bustles were still large. My best guess would be exactly at Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1887. ::)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk