Author Topic: Brecon War Memorial  (Read 4978 times)

Offline Tree Tective

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brecon War Memorial
« on: Thursday 08 August 13 10:13 BST (UK) »
Can anyone remember a sort of war memorial that was surrounded by iron railings in Brecon around 1964 somewhere between the museum and river bridge.

Is it still there and where by, thank you

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brecon War Memorial
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 August 13 10:55 BST (UK) »
I know there is a small  Peace Garden a little way down The Watton from the museum in Brecon; it was remodelled about ten or 15 years ago and I believe it contains a war memorial. 

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tree Tective

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 August 13 11:26 BST (UK) »
Ta for reply, there is something in my grey matter that refers to a monument, memorial etc that was surrounded by approx. 4 foot high black railings quite close to a road in the centre of Brecon and maybe traffic passed on either side. I have travelled a Google journey but cannot see anything now, but my source says it may have been on a hill between the museum and the river bridge ?

What was in place where the newish library is

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 August 13 13:35 BST (UK) »
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 August 13 14:55 BST (UK) »
The statue of Wellington in The Bulwark, Brecon, fits the bill although it doesn't have railings round it, but does have benches.  The war memorials posted by wrjones are at St Mary's Church close by. 
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline metropolis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 February 14 14:33 GMT (UK) »
The statue of Wellington in The Bulwark, Brecon, fits the bill although it doesn't have railings round it, but does have benches.  The war memorials posted by wrjones are at St Mary's Church close by.

The statue used to have railings around it. I have seen them on old photographs of Brecon.
Garbutt, Anderson. Clark, Andrew, Goulden,Poad,Richardson .Whitby /Stockton/Yorkshire area . Duff family Malton and Stockton on Tees .

Offline metropolis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 August 14 11:28 BST (UK) »
The war memorial in the centre of town (garden of St Marys Church) lists soldiers from the first and second world war, there is also a roll of honour  of soldiers from Brecon who served in the 1st world war in Brecon cathedral and also in the reception area of Brecon War memorial Hospital.
Garbutt, Anderson. Clark, Andrew, Goulden,Poad,Richardson .Whitby /Stockton/Yorkshire area . Duff family Malton and Stockton on Tees .