Author Topic: Beulah and the cannibals  (Read 6469 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Beulah and the cannibals
« on: Thursday 08 August 13 22:24 BST (UK) »
Beulah Logan Tuthill was my grandmother's cousin.  I have found this lurid and scarcely credible account of her adventures in three US newspapers.  It must have been a syndicated story because the three articles are word-for-word identical.  The earliest example that I have found was published on 15 August 1906 in the Manning [South Carolina] Times.

While it is true that Beulah was involved in a shipwreck in the South Pacific in 1899, the ship was actually called the 'Robert W. Logan' [named after Beulah's father] and the wreck occurred on a reef in the Mortlock Islands.  She was slightly injured but no lives were lost.  It is also true that Beulah enjoyed a career as an inspirational speaker on the subject of missionary activity in the Pacific.  I have searched and searched but have never been able to find any evidence to support this exciting cannibal story and I think that it is a hoax.  Aside from the improbability of the events described, there are also factual errors [for example, Beulah's father died in 1887 so he could not have been in Australia in 1900].

What I would like to find is an account of what Beulah really said at the "Methodist camp meeting on the Des Plaines River near Chicago, Ill."  The date of this camp meeting is unknown but it must have occurred between 14 June 1906 [when she married William H. Tuthill in Chicago] and 15 August 1906 [when the article was published]. 

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn86063760/1906-08-15/ed-1/seq-1/#words=/

edited to add:  I'm pretty sure this is the Methodist camp referred to but I can't find any lists of speakers or accounts of what was said at the annual meetings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Des_Plaines_Methodist_Camp_Ground
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Beulah and the cannibals
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 August 13 05:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Erato:

When I first read your post I thought that perhaps some of the story was true.  After reading the article twice, I think maybe you are correct in thinking it might be a hoax.

Have you verified statements from her story such as: is/was there an island named New Ireland?  Was there a German station three miles away?

She seemed to be pretty exact with some of her details, maybe a little too exact?  How did she know a 4 inch shell hit the canoe?  Did she watch the entire episode and therefore gave exact details of the event?   ???  I'm confused - which ship did they board?  I guess the ship she was on was safely away from the islanders?  It's all a bit weird.

I will have a look around, to see if I can find anything.  Strange newspaper article; thank you for sharing it.   :-\

PS  Have you found an obituary for her?  Surely something would be included in the obituary about her extraordinary life.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 August 13 06:02 BST (UK) »
Reading the article again:

"A terrific storm swept the vessel near the island of New Ireland...Miss Tuthill was swept overboard...they were subsequently shipwrecked on a sandbar...this bar was two miles off the cannibal isle...the savages brought brushwood and great logs for the fire."

Their was a fierce storm - was the island so far away from the storm that the islanders could gather brushwood and logs and actually start a fire?  The wood wouldn't have been too wet to start the fire?  :-\  They most likely had their fuel supplies kept in a safe location, but it seems difficult to imagine they could have started the fire without a problem.

It sounds like they were two miles from the island yet she knew exactly what was going on on the island?   :-\

The islanders didn't notice a new ship in the area?  This was their home yet they didn't notice her ship until it started to pull away?  :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 August 13 06:35 BST (UK) »
New Ireland is an island in Papua New Guinea:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Ireland_%28island%29

However, between 1885 and 1914 it was part of German New Guinea, and called Neumecklenburg.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 August 13 07:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you, KGarrad for your link.

Erato:  have you seen this article?  Perhaps it is possible that she witnessed an event, but rather than being on a ship, she was actually living near the islanders?
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0vmb/

Another book mentions her name:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0vmd/

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 August 13 13:04 BST (UK) »
Yes, I've seen those little snippets.

I know quite a lot about Beulah and her family.  She grew up in Truk, Micronesia where her parents were missionaries.  Her father, Robert W. Logan, was very well known in the missionary business and Beulah and her brother followed in his footsteps, at least for a while.  To this day, the Protestant church on Truk is named the Logan Memorial Church.   Beulah really was once shipwrecked in the Mortlocks [a group of small atolls south of Truk], rescued, and taken to Australia to recover.  After that, she returned to the United States, married a wealthy businessman [Tuthill], and gave talks on the subject of foreign missions.  She even helped the US military in WWII because she had detailed personal knowledge of many of the atolls and lagoons in Micronesia.

After her marriage, Beulah lived in Chicago and it is very likely that she really did speak at the Methodist camp and, it wouldn't be surprising that she mentioned the shipwreck incident.  However, the real shipwreck did not involve cannibals, a German gunboat, and so on.  So, either Beulah totally lied about the events of the wreck or a reporter embroidered her story to make it more exciting.  I think the latter is more likely.  So I'd like to know what she actually did say.

Beulah died not long after I was born and so I never knew her but I do vaguely recall my grandmother mentioning her in conversation.  If she had really had an encounter with cannibals, I think the story would have become part of family lore and I'd have heard about it as a child.

Here she is:

Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 August 13 13:45 BST (UK) »
I see an article in the Des Moines Daily News from 4 Aug. 1906 that gives the same quotes in the 15 Aug. 1906 articles mentioned above.

There is also an article in the Webster City (Iowa) Tribune from 9 Mar. 1906 stating that she gave a very interesting talk at the Congregation church Tuesday about her life and the "strange customs" of the Island people.  No mention of cannibals.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 August 13 13:54 BST (UK) »

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 August 13 14:04 BST (UK) »