Author Topic: Llety, Rhoscolyn in the 1860's  (Read 21725 times)

Offline aled23

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Llety, Rhoscolyn in the 1860's
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 January 15 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi RR...I am a descendant of Robert Jones bc1836 to John Rowlands, ..and I'm from Valley too!!!

Offline aled23

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 January 15 18:04 GMT (UK) »
"I think that John and Margaret by 1851 are still in Rhoscolyn at a different House called Llethu"

could this be just a mis-spelling of Lletty?

Who are your ancestors at LLety  Owen ap Anglesey??

regards
Aled

Offline richardemlyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 January 15 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Aled

This is getting interesting again. Months ago I found Rowland Rowland (see previous comment from Dragon T). I was making good progress until I came accross him. Why is he registered as the father as described by Dragon T?  I assumed that I was missing something but its good to get confirmation from a second source of this as yet unexplained entry. So that leaves me confirmed with Lewis and Margaret as great grandparents but a doubt about Lewis's father. I have located Lewis in Rhoscolyn Church buried with two of his daughters, Margaret d 16/06/1905 and Ellen d 16/05/1905 at 22 who died young and exactly within one month of each other. All this fits but where does Rowland Rowland fit in?  I'm pretty desperate to crack this one since it could open up lots of interesting information, after all there must me living family in Holyhead now and there is a Rowland street there. Aled - is any of this and previously mentioned by me common or familiar to you.

RR   PS Thanks to Dragon T for previous information - appreciated.

Offline richardemlyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 January 15 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Incidentally, Aled or anyone, I have quite a bit of info on Lewis and Margarets children, particularly their descendants mainly for Ann Jane who married Fred Mawdsley and had three children, Mary who married a John Williams - one of their children Annie married Bob Lewis and kept the Garreglwyd home in Holyhead, Lewis married a Jane Jones and had two daughters, Sarah who married Owen Jones and I have quite a lot on that line including living relatives (2 in Valley) and of course lots on Richard my grandfather (1 in Valley now). I have dates of marrige and births and register office ref no's should you need any of it let me know.
RR

Offline Owen ap Anglesey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 January 15 10:47 GMT (UK) »
RR
The unfolding of your Rowlands family interests me and one possible new fact being a marriage on 11th December 1818 in Rhoscolyn between a John Rowlands and a Margret Williams, this would tie in with the birth of Edward Rowlands in 1819. The Rowlands Family listed earlier at LletyBach in 1841 and Llethu in 1851 may well be the same family - but I can not prove the fact. Maybe others can.

To Aled. I was also confused by the home called Llethu in 1851, but it is correct as further into the village there is Llety Bach and Llety Mawr.
My own connection with Llety is confirmed on numerous birth and marriage certificates in the period 1860 to 1875 as a Jones family. The infuriating problem being that I can not find them in any census and I'm convinced that the patronymic system is the reason. 1851 shows eight members of a Prichard family at Llety Bach and Llety Mawr - most of these fit in perfectly as my Jones connection later on.

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 January 15 20:50 GMT (UK) »

...one possible new fact being a marriage on 11th December 1818 in Rhoscolyn between a John Rowlands and a Margret Williams, this would tie in with the birth of Edward Rowlands in 1919.

Looking at the baptismal records for Rhoscolyn shows the following who seem to be Edward Rowland(s) and his siblings, which helps link this family to the family at Lletty bach in 1841.

No. 110 - 20 Feb 1819 Edward son of John Rowland, Margaret Williams, Bridge, labourer.
No. 173 - 15 Dec 1822 Mary dau. of John & Margaret Rowlands, Bridge, labourer.
No. 201 - 1 Aug 1824 William [Rowlands] son of John & Margaret Rowlands, Bridge, labourer.
No. 236 - 11 Sep 1826 Elizabeth [Rowlands] dau. of John & Margaret Rowland, Lle??i (unclear), labourer.
No. 263 - 22 Feb 1829 John son of John & Margaret Rowlands, Lletty, labourer.
No. 374 - 1 Jan 1838 Owen son of John & Margaret Rowlands, Lletty, labourer.
Owen's birth was registered - 3 Dec 1837, Owen son of John Rowland & Margaret Williams, Rhoscolyn.
I cannot find Robert Rowland ca. 1835 nor David ca. 1840 but David's death was registered:-
David - 31 Jan 1843, age 2 at Lletty Bach, Rhoscolyn, son of labourer John Rowland. Informant Margaret Rowland, Lletty Bach, Rhoscolyn. The cause of death was whooping cough.

I have checked the birth registrations for the children of Lewis Rowland and Margaret Jones, most confirm the known facts as given by richardemlyn:
Mary, 17 Mar 1877, dau of Lewis Rowlands & Margaret Jones - Rhoscolyn
John, 16 Oct 1880, son of Lewis Rowlands & Margaret Jones - Llanynghenedl
Ellen, 27 Feb 1883, dau of Lewis Rowlands & Margaret Jones - Llanynghenedl
Richard, 12/13 May 1885, son of Lewis Rowlands & Margaret Jones - Llanynghenedl (for some reason the birth was registered twice with different dob - Llanddeusant 14, 31, 151  and 14, 32, 157).
Margaret, 11 May 1888, dau of Lewis Rowlands & Margaret Jones - Llanynghenedl
Edward, 27 Apr 1891, son of Lewis Rowlands & Margaret Jones - Llanynghenedl
Anne Jane, 3 Feb 1894, dau of Lewis Rowlands & Margaret Jones - Llanynghenedl

Lewis and Sarah are different. It seems Lewis was born before the marriage of his parents on 18 Feb 1873. His birth was registered as:
Lewis, 29 Dec 1872, son of Margaret Jones - Rhoscolyn. The father's name was not recorded.
The only possible registration for Sarah's birth I have found is:
Sarah, 21 Feb 1875, dau of Lewis Rowlands & Margaret Edwards - Rhoscolyn

I can find the following death registrations which I think are relevant:
Lewis Rowlands - 8 Nov 1900, age 50 - in a field at Penybont, Llanynghenedl, farm labourer. Informant Lewis Rowlands, son, Penygraig, Llanfachraeth.
Margaret Rowlands - 18 Mar 1942, age 91 - Fron Dirion, Four Mile Brdge, Rhoscolyn, widow of farm labourer Lewis Rowlands. Informant R. Rowlands, son.
Margaret Rowlands - 16 Jun 1905, age 17 - Penybont bach, Four Mile Bridge, Llanynghenedl, domestic servant. Informant John Rowlands, brother, same address.
Ellen Rowlands - 16 May 1905, age 22 - Penybont bach, Four Mile Bridge, Llanynghenedl, domestic servant. Informant Lewis Rowlands, brother, Penygraig, Llanfachraeth.
Lewis Rowlands - 10 Feb 1907, age 34 - Jericho, Llanfachraeth, general, labourer. Informant Richard Lewis, brother, Bontlwyd, Llanfachraeth.
John Rowlands - 17 Sep 1914, age 33 - Penybont bach, Four Mile Bridge, Llanynghenedl, farm labourer. Informant Owen Jones, brother-in-law, Caera Cottage, Llanfachraeth.
Edward Rowlands - 27 Apr 1891, age given as 19 hours - Pantbontbach, Llanynghenedl, son of farm labourer Lewis Rowlands. Informant father.

I'm unable to explain the unexpected names found in some of these records - Rowland Rowland instead of Edward Rowland (1873 marriage), Edward Williams instead of Edward Rowland (1838 marriage), Margaret Edwards instead of Margaret Jones (1875 birth) and Jones instead of Rowland (births 1843 and 1850) - but I do not think they are necessarily the wrong records for these events. Some of the factors involved may have been - illiteracy of the participants, patronymic naming, simple misunderstandings/errors or errors in transcription.
Regards

Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline richardemlyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 January 15 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Dragon T.
The names,dates and addresses you quote are very much in line with what I have but you have included additional material which I did not have and I am appreciative. According to a relative that I have spoken to briefly on the phone this evening, the information regarding the more recent obituaries particularly the address at time of death are known to him as being family addresses. It apprears that we are certainly on the right trail and that you clearly have some expertise in this business!!
I will need now to find time to study all the information.
Thank you
RR

Offline aled23

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 19:21 GMT (UK) »
a witness at JR and MW wedding was a William Roberts...possibly Margarets father?...And there is a john son of Edward Rowlands and Mary Prichard in Trewalchmai 1790!! if I remember correctly

..and I too thank you all for the input as I like mentioned earlier am descended from Robert Jones bc1836 (no record of baptizm has been found but he names his father JR on the marr cert)

regards
Aled

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/7343392/family

Offline richardemlyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Aled,

I have now been able to write down the part of the tree that is relevant to me i.e John Rowland and Margaret Williams and their 9 children. One of their children, Edward and his wife Sarah and their 5 children. One of Edward and Sarah's children Lewis and his wife Margaret Jones and their 8 children including my grandfather Richard who married a Mary Jones. So I have Great Great Great Grandparents now and all children (unless more turn up) right through to me. Thanks for your input.

So where do you link in?   Are John and Margaret ur GGG Grandparents as well - making us cousins of some description?  Are you aware of any cousins of yours living in Valley?  Last but not least - I'm guessing (wild guess based on a hunch more than logic I suppose) that u have one letter less than I have in your surname and u live with the Prime Minister?

RR