Author Topic: Bridget Flynn (or Glynn), probably born in Tourloughmore, Co Galway  (Read 3602 times)

Offline 1SuperPilot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bridget Flynn (or Glynn), probably born in Tourloughmore, Co Galway
« on: Saturday 10 August 13 01:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have great-great-grandparents that are from Ireland, and moved to United States.  I can find them in the USA, but can't follow it back to Ireland.  Is there anyone who might help locate at least one of them?  Both names are rather common, so while I can find Immigration data with those names, I cannot identify that any of them apply to my ancestors and NOT to some other Martin and Bridget BURNS.

Bridget FLYNN (or GLYNN) married Martin BURNS and had 7 children in USA.  US census records say both immigrated from Ireland, Martin from "northern Ireland", Bridget from "Irish Free State", which didn't exist when she was born.

Here's what I've learned so far:

Martin BURNS b. 15-Nov-1820 Northern Ireland, d. 3-Mar-1877 Grasscreek,, Wayne township, Fulton Co, IN.  He died BEFORE they issued death certificates, so I don't know much more on him.

I got the death certificate for Bridget, and it says Bridget G FLYNN, b. 15-Jan-1836 Turloughmore, Co Galway, Ireland, d. 8-Sep-1904 Grasscreek, Wayne township, Fulton Co, IN.  As far as I can tell, I THINK they married in USA, since Bridget was only about 16 when married, around 1856 (first child was born Jun-1857 near Cincinnati OH). Presumably she emigrated around 1852.  The death certificate says that Bridget's parents are James FLYNN and Margret HIGGENS.

I tried finding those names, without success, for about 10 years.  Another Burns descendent says that her name is GLYNN, not FLYNN.  I can only say what is on the death certificate.

Is there a place in Co Galway to search for any of these persons?

Thank you for any assistance.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget Flynn (or Glynn), probably born in Tourloughmore, Co Galway
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 August 13 08:25 BST (UK) »
Could you post in full the family in 1861,there as you say many Burns and Burn families,
and if possible do not abbreviate place names,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 August 13 08:37 BST (UK) »
1826 Tithe Applotment

James Glynn
Townland of Gorlengart,
Parish Kilthomas,
County Galway,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline 1SuperPilot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 19:13 BST (UK) »
I was away, and then couldn't remember how to reply.  The family would have been in USA by 1861 census, probably for 1851 for Martin Burns but maybe not for Bridget.  Here is some basic information (Abbreviation: SPENCER= "town of Spencer near Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio, USA" and GRASSCREEK= "town of Grass Creek, Wayne township, Fulton County, Indiana, USA".

Martin Burns, b. 15-Nov-1820 Northern Ireland, imm. about 1847 to USA, m. about 1855-1856 to Bridget G Flynn/Glynn, residence in 1860: SPENCER, moved to GRASSCREEK about 1865, d. 3-Mar-1877 of typhoid pneumonia, bur. St Anne Cemetery, GRASSCREEK.

Bridget G Flynn/Glynn, b. 15-Jan-1836 Turloughmore, Co Galway, Ireland (per her death certificate), daughter of James Flynn of Turloughmore and Margret Higgens of Turoughmore, d. 8-Sep-1904 GRASSCREEK.  [Note another person's family tree states that she was born 21-Jun-1836 Tuam, Galway, but I do not know where they came up with this piece of data]

Children of Martin and Bridget Burns includes:

My ancestor John P Burns, b. Jun-1857 SPENCER, d. 20-Mar-1912 GRASSCREEK.
Mary Ann Burns, b. 9-Sep-1959 Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio, USA, d. after 1923.
Margaret Burns, b. about 1864 SPENCER, d. after 1900.
Sarah Jane Burns, b. Oct-1866 GRASSCREEK, d. 1-Jan-1945.
Elizabeth Cecilia Burns, b. 2-Nov-1870 GRASSCREEK, d. 9-Aug-1908 Indiana, USA.
Female infant, b. 19-Jan-1871 GRASSCREEK, d. 27-Feb-1871 GRASSCREEK, bur. St Anne w/parents.
Julia A Burns, b. Apr-1873 GRASSCREEK, d. 1951 Logansport, Cass County, Indiana, USA.
Martin Burns Jr, b. 11-Sep-1875 GRASSCREEK, d. 8-Jul-1957 Kokomo, Howard County, Indiana, USA.

The family was in SPENCER in the 1860 US census, then in GRASSCREEK in the 1870, 1880, 1900 US censuses.

Thank you for any information that you find identifying where they come from in Ireland.

Offline trelawn1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 19:31 BST (UK) »
There is a James Glynn listed as being a leather seller in Main street, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway in 1824. Perhaps coincidentally, there is an Alexander Glynn listed in the same street as a publican. Not sure if it's your James or not.

Amy
Bolger, Saul, Dowd, Ennis, Doyle - Dublin
Shears/Sheers/Schehr - Dublin and Germany

Offline trelawn1984

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 19:47 BST (UK) »
there is a photo of martin burns' gravestone and some other info on ancestry, don't know if you posted that or if you are aware it's there. Just thought i'd let you know in case you didn't.
Bolger, Saul, Dowd, Ennis, Doyle - Dublin
Shears/Sheers/Schehr - Dublin and Germany