Author Topic: Parents of Alexander REID  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Alan1323

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of Alexander REID
« on: Saturday 10 August 13 09:10 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for the birth details and parents of Alexander REID whose marriage notice was in the Hobart Mercury as follows: "REID—TURNBULL—October 1st, at River View, Launceston, by the Rev. Dr. Turnbull, Alexander Reid, Esq., to Margaret Ann, eldest daughter of the late Francis M. Turnbull, Esq., of Campbell Town.
Date: 22 October 1861"

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Alexander REID
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 August 13 10:25 BST (UK) »

Offline Alan1323

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 August 13 01:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that - actually that's my website and I'm worried about the details so was hoping someone could confirm them  :)

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 August 13 02:06 BST (UK) »
Yes, I thought it was your website  ;)
Do you have copies of the original records?
They are available online:

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2125029

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 August 13 04:08 BST (UK) »
You've gotten a bit mixed up here:

"James Reid [Parents] was born on 6 Jul 1794 in Edinburgh, Scotland. He died in 1863. He married Annabella Murray on 2 Apr 1839 in Great Swan Point."

James and Annabella married in Scotland and came out with their family.  Are you thinking of this marriage?

Alexander REID
Eliza BOOTHMAN
Married:    2 Apr 1839

They had a son Albert in 1841.

I can't see any reference to James and Annabella having a son Alexander in any of the obits and various articles on TROVE, and they are quite detailed in the information they give on the family.

I do see the FamilySearch Ancestral File reference to Alexander being their son - I wonder where they got the specific birth date from (13 June 1829, Richmond Hill, West Tamar, Australia)?

I can also see that on the Tas. FamilyLinks database they have:

Birth    1829 - LAUNCESTON, TASMANIA [AO]
[AO] indicates data added, and verified from other records, by the Archives Office

I can understand the year, which may have been calculated from his age at death, but why have they stated that he was born in Launceston?

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 August 13 04:46 BST (UK) »
The obit for William Barrett REID in 1935 gives a lot of detail, and as far as I can see it is all true, which is not always the case!  His grandfather Henry was a son of James and Annabella.

" They first settled at Green Hill on the Macquarie River, where the late Jas. Reid had a Crown grant of 1000 acres, but later resided at Richmond Hill, on the Tamar, where he died in 1863. He, his wife and three sons were buried in the Sidmouth churchyard, and the names and dates on the headstones are still clear to read."
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/91718042

This was James, Annabella, and sons Henry, Thomas, and James.

It looks like they did have a brother Alexander:

"....it was addressed, to Mr. Thomas Reid, Richmond Hill, West Tamar...the prisoner having delivered himself of the long oration, called two witnesses with the view of establishing an alibi. The first was a young lad named Alexander Reid, brother to Thomas Reid, for whom the letter was destined;...."
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/36240455/3644633

I also see that the person who submitted the info to FamilySearch has a number of exact birthdates for other siblings besides Alexander and none of these appear in the Tas. indexes.  Do you think there might be a family bible or something similar?

Debra  :)

Offline Alan1323

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 August 13 10:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Debra, you're a star.

I was very worried about Annabella and had worked out that Alexander and Albert probably weren't brothers.

These were some of the first names I got 10 years ago and I've only now started really looking at them.

You're comments are fabulous and I'm going to go back to twas and start from what I do know.

Will get back to you shortly in more detail

Alan

Offline chrissiecal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 July 17 08:45 BST (UK) »
Hi to all of you above,
I am a direct descendant of Alexander Reid, who is definitely a son of James and Annabella Murray. I have had no end of problems finding birth dates for him and for his three siblings who were born in Scotland before they emigrated, i.e., Ann, James and Henry Grey. The children, who were born in Hobart and at Richmond Hill, Sidmouth are all clearly registered. However, Alexander and Clara Childes, who were both born when they were living at Macquarie River, (Campbeltown) are missing records. The Family Search reference is only from How reliable is "Ancestral File A static collection of genealogies submitted by users, prior to 2003, including 40 million ancestors", which I don't consider to be terribly reliable. Of course, we have marriage records when he married Annabella Murray and also the Trove report as recorded above.