Author Topic: Michael Daintry, Mill Owner, Macclesfield  (Read 2674 times)

Offline Brazzer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Daintry, Mill Owner, Macclesfield
« on: Saturday 10 August 13 11:47 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit puzzled that the Park Green Mill in Macclesfield (now demolished) is always referred to as Frosts Mill, because the mill was build by Daintry. Could it be that he was a particularly nasty piece of work best forgotten by history? I know there is a mill clock in the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry with two faces. The workers had to make up lost production time without pay when the clock face driven by the water fell behind the normal clock face time, even though working with slower machinery was actually harder work than working with normal speed machinery!

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Daintry, Mill Owner, Macclesfield
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 August 13 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

from www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk

It was a grade 2 Listed Building, listed on 14th  April 1949

SJ9173SE PARK GREEN
 886-1/12/156 (East side)
 14/04/49 Park Green Mill
 (Formerly Listed as:
 PARK GREEN
 Silk Mill (Formerly of Messrs
 William Frost & Sons Ltd)

Heather

Offline Brazzer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 August 13 10:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I know Frost ran a mill there after Daintry Died around 1811. I used to live at 93 Byrons Lane and did some research on the property for a GCSE in Local History in the 80s. My neighbour had found a man's gold ring on his pitch-fork when he was digging his garden inscribed 'M DAINTRY OB IT 8 APRIL 1811' (can't remember the exact date) - 'OB IT' means 'died with date of death'. Also a book on Macclesfield history said the set of 4 houses used to be a school known as the Byrons House and that they had later been converted into four 'desirable residences'. A map from 1830 showed a larger building nearer to where the railway is now, and a local Georgian expert confirmed that the block of 4 houses next to the road had never been converted but had been new Victorian build, probably on the foundations of the coach house for the school building which must have been demolished after the railway was built in the 1850s or 60s. Researching Michael Daintry showed that he build the mill at Park Green in the 1700s and used to live in the building to the left of it there. He was in partnership with the banker John Ryle who had a bank where the funeral directors is now. I then found reference to him building a residence in Byrons Lane about 1770/1780. I guess the ring was made for his son who must have lost it (or thrown it away!). After Daintrys wife died later on I found Macclesfield Courier references to an auction of the house contents and then regular references to a 'school for young gentlemen' located there, with subjects and fees listed (e.g. Latin - £1 10s). References to the school ceased around 1850. It was probably no longer a suitable location being too close to the new railway. Also I guess Daintry Street in Macclesfield was named after him. All in all it was fascinating, but I ran out of time. Now every time I see a reference to Frosts Mill I can't help thinking what about Daintry?!

Offline dec161

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 April 16 19:45 BST (UK) »
Being new to the site, I just saw this postings.  Thank you for the information as it will add to my information about the life of Michael Daintry.  He would be on a side chain of my family, but not a direct line to me.