Author Topic: Charlton's Charity, Meath and Longford  (Read 5924 times)

Offline hamlets

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charlton's Charity, Meath and Longford
« on: Sunday 11 August 13 13:24 BST (UK) »
1795 1862 : Charlton Trust Fund Marriage certificates.
The Charlton Trust Fund offered a small marriage gratuity to members of the
Protestant labouring classes. To qualify, a marriage certificate, recording
occupations and fathers names and signed by the local Church of Ireland
clergyman, had to be submitted, and these are now in the National Archives.
. ………………………………………..They are indexed in the NA.
-http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlgal/index3.htm
I have tried many combinations of Charlton/Bequest etc etc in the search box of the National Archives (Dublin) website but to no avail. I would prefer to have at least some archival info or reference number before a visit to Dublin. Can anyone show me how to extract this info out of their website so that I can arrive at their premises fully prepared and not having some jackeens looking down their noses at me??
O'Neill, Balmer, Dick, Lockhart, Jeffers, Morton, Ringland.
South Armagh, South Down, North Louth

Offline meath999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Charlton's Charity, Meath and Longford
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Hamlets,
I was in the National Archives yesterday, and did a quick query on the "Charlton Charity Certs". The guy behind the desk looked up a "miscellaneous Items" reference book he had, and asked me did I want Meath or Kildare, then asked did I want A to K or L to End. I filled a yellow Order Docket, with my name, Reader Card number, date , and Description, i.e. "Carlton Charity Certs, Meath , A to K.....waited 30 mins and was presented with a Box of the original certs, tied in bundles,  that is an "A" bundle, a "B" bundle etc. This was wonderful if one wanted to pore through the certs, but not great if one was looking for a particular person. So ....

I then asked about any Finding aid or Index to these and the attendants did not know of any but offered me the the above mentioned reference book to look through myself .  I discovered that there was a red volume labelled "AQUISITIONS 37" on the open shelving which lists over about 200 pages the "Longford Certs" and in a further 200 odd pages the "Meath Certs". , in Alphabetical order by the Husband. So if Armstrong, Patrick married Smith,Ann there is an entry under "A" but not under "S".  In these two volumes there are 2,000 marriages listed in each of the two county sections. and the initial page in each 1796 to 1862.  This should give you plenty to get your teeth into.

Very Important - I believe the rules for issuing a readers card require you to produce ID, ( eg a Passport) and a Proof of Address ( as a Utility bill or Bank Statement or Tax Man letter with your name and address on it). 

Hope this helps to answer your Query. If I can assist further please let me know. Although I live in Dublin I am from Meath, so definitely do not qualify as a Jackeen,

Offline hamlets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Charlton's Charity, Meath and Longford
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Meath 999 -
You are most certainly the person to contact in an emergency!
Thank you very much for your courteous and very informative reply. I couldnt ask for better.
With this information I now have no excuse not to venture into the capital of the Pale. It may be some time ahead, but I will advise on the results.
Hamlets.
O'Neill, Balmer, Dick, Lockhart, Jeffers, Morton, Ringland.
South Armagh, South Down, North Louth