Author Topic: Auchentorlie house  (Read 17543 times)

Offline seekthem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Auchentorlie house
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry I do not have any further information on Auchentorlie House.  I had it in my family tree when it was a private house and my great grandfather was a coachman there.  I don't have any idea what happened to the private records or if the Renfrewshire Heritage site can be of more help.  Good luck on your search.  Lizanne x  ps.  Have you seen the site on facebook Missing People Scotland I would try that as it is very popular.

Offline LizL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 March 18 00:14 GMT (UK) »
I’m quite sure I heard that  Auchentorlie House in Paisley was, at one time,  a home for unmarried mothers. Girls would be sent there to have their babies. It is likely the babies would be given up for adoption. Sorry, I don’t know the era or whether records may have survived.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 25 March 18 10:59 BST (UK) »
Auchentorlie House became the property of Saucel Distillery and on the death of the company owner in 1910 his son, Lorimer Cattenach sold the house and grounds to Paisley Parish Council.
The council adapted the house and grounds as part of its Care facilities for Children and maternity cases (one report claims that it was used to provide care mainly for orphaned or abandoned children from "respectable" homes).
The House was used for this from 1910 to 1933.

Information from the book Postscripts to the Past (Lost mansions and Houses of Renfrewshire)by Dan Sweeney - the book also has a photograph showing the front portico of the House.

Offline Brownbaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 05 October 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
I've just begun my research about Auchentorlie House in Paisley but i have a question....

My grandfather claims that he inherited, from his mother of the Cross family, an original deed for title to Auchentorle House in Paisley...?

All i know is that...my grandfather and his mother and family emmigrated to Canada in 1913, 3yrs after the Paisley Parish Council took over Auchentorlie House. My grandfather then later passed the document onto my uncle - it appears to have been an original but the document was unfortunately later destroyed in a fire.

From what i can gather....the title document didn't seem to hold any real significance for my grandfather other than sentimentally, i think. He did however, display it on his livingroom wall and passed it onto to my uncle - but he never returned to Paisley or try to claim any title.

So, what significance does this document actually have?
Does anyone know of the Cross family in Paisley?
And, did they in fact have anything to do with Auchentorlie House?

I'd be really interested to know and, i'd really appreciate any infomation that might help clear up this family mystery...!

Offline LizL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 05 October 18 19:29 BST (UK) »
That is very interesting. I live in Paisley and would be happy, on my next visit to the Central Library, to look into any records that were available for Auchentorlie House. I expect there would be records showing when it changed hands and to whom. I shall return to this thread and keep you informed of my progress

Offline Brownbaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 October 18 07:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you LizL for your offer to help! That would be wonderful, if you are able to research information relating to the Cross family and Auchentorlie House :)

Offline allykay129

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 08 October 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
I had a very successful find when I went through the Poor Law Records https://libcat.renfrewshire.gov.uk/iguana/www.main.cls?surl=PoorLaw
From there I learned all about the path my father-in-law took once being admitted to Auchentorlie House.  I encourage you to start with the Poor Law Records.
Good luck!

Offline LizL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 08 October 18 15:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I agree that the Poor Law records in Paisley are a wonderful resource. I think, however, the Heritage Centre may have further works and info on the history of Auchentorlie House itself. I shall certainly look into it. Thanks

Offline seekthem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Tried to download photo of Auchentorlie House but it didn't work.  I have a few census records of the Cattenach family from when my great grandparents lived in the lodge house.