Author Topic: George Mortimer Brown from NY USA returning to West Wales  (Read 716 times)

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Mortimer Brown from NY USA returning to West Wales
« on: Monday 12 August 13 13:16 BST (UK) »
I am after a steer.  I have tracked a possible ancestor George Mortimer Brown born 26 Oct 1875 St Davids, Pembrokeshire, emigrating on SS Lord Gough to the USA 24 Oct 1894 from Liverpool.  I believe that he went to Boston /NY.

In 1900 he returns to the USA with his brother Osborne.  He also returns from the UK in 1907.   I am really interested to locate him in Jan 1897.  Could he have been back in St David's?  To that end I need to find out when he came back to UK, to return again in 1900.  Are there any online records where I can identify when he returned to the UK?

Thanks

Alan

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Mortimer Brown from NY USA returning to West Wales
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 August 13 14:59 BST (UK) »
hi alan
passenger records are notorious for there lack of information some do have full names some have just first name but an awful lot only have first initial or not even that just a surname also some have occ and some don,t which again doesn,t make life easy . now as to who has what find my past has out going passengers from Britain and ancestry has the incoming passenger lists , I,ve had a quick look at FindMyPast for George and there are possibles as to osbourne couldn,t see a definite for him as no osbourne shows just several with the initial o  , have you occupations for geo and os .
as to how you would pin geo down to jan 1897 I can,t imagine .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: George Mortimer Brown from NY USA returning to West Wales
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 August 13 15:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  It's any records of him returning to Uk between 1894 and 1900 that I am after.  Although described as a farmer on the SS Lord Gough's register of aliens in 1894, he became a butler or steward by trade. 

In 1900 he returns to the USA with brother Osborne in tow and I have that record of his departure/arrival.  It's when he re-entered the UK in the first place that is defeating me.

I have looked on ancestry and the US websites showing arrivals and they have shown repeated arrivals in the US but not the other way around.