Author Topic: Lookup request for 'Joseph Biles Ray' born 1821 St. Aubin, please  (Read 5201 times)

Offline Otis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup request for 'Joseph Biles Ray' born 1821 St. Aubin, please
« on: Monday 12 August 13 19:23 BST (UK) »
 I would kindly ask for a lookup of a Joseph Biles Ray born 1821 St. Aubin son of Joseph Ray. Looking for any ancestral info on this family line.  Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Mark Biles

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request for 'Joseph Biles Ray' born 1821 St. Aubin, please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 August 13 23:48 BST (UK) »
On the 1861 English census he gives his birthplace as St Aubins but on the C I 1871 he shows St Brelades

I wonder if the middle name of Biles is an error. He married as Joseph Biles Ray but his wife was Eliza Biles and she was previously married hence his stepchildren

I know you already have all Biles info as I have seen a thread from you on another website
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 00:04 BST (UK) »
Somebody called Howens has notified several census transcription errors on the Biles family and also the Ray family which suggests he/she is researching the same family.

I am unable to send him an email via Ancestry as it would appear he is no longer a member
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 00:28 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify - St Aubin is not a parish in it's own right, it is a village in the parish of St Brelade so both the 1861 and 1871 could be correct.

Offline Otis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 18:18 BST (UK) »
  Am looking for birth/bapt info for Joseph Biles Ray and any ancestor info for him. His father was listed as a Joseph Ray on marriage cert.
   Banns , Marriage cert and children's bapt cert state the name as Joseph Biles Ray. If anyone is looking at St. Brelade/St. Aubin parish records around 1821 would greatly appreciate a lookup on this Joseph Biles Ray.

Thanks again

Mark Biles

Offline Otis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request for 'Joseph Biles Ray' born 1821 St. Brelade, please
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi;

I have found a piece of info on Joseph Reaugh/Ray that appears to be a connection

St. Helier Marriages
REAUGH    07 Nov 1820 Joseph (Soldier) and Marie Biles (St H)

St. Brelades Baptisms
REAUGH    15 Apr 1821 Joseph Biles son of Joseph and Maria (hence the Biles middle name)

have info on Maria Biles
MARIA BILES
   Female   
 Christening:  27 AUG 1791  Frampton, Dorset, England
Parents James Biles & Charity Bridle (of Sydling St. Nicholas)

Sydling St Nicholas Baptisms 1813 to 1848
407   5 Apr 1832     Ann Biles Devenish   dau of  base born   Maria REAUGH   Sydling St Nicholas    Married woman,   her husband living in Jersey    George Feaver Vicar

Melcombe Regis
St Mary's
Marriages 1831 - 1840
4 Feb 1836; John DEVENISH (Bachelor of Sydling, Dorset) & Maria REAUGH (Widow) (Sojourner); Licence -
Witnesses: Mary Bennett & Edward Fooks   

Name:    Maria Devenish
Birth Year:    abt 1791
Burial Date:    20 Jul 1847
Burial Place:    Sydling St Nicholas, Dorset, England

Cannot find anything on Maria's husband Joseph Reaugh and wondered if spelling from transcription may be an issue. Would anyone have access to St. Helier parish records for this marriage to crosscheck the names? Maria is listed as a widow in her marriage in 1836. Am presuming Joseph died on Jersey prior to 1836 or perhaps Maria may have fibbed and been 'double dipping'.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Mark Biles

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 08:45 GMT (UK) »
There are army discharge papers for Private Joseph Reaugh, 7th Battalion, Royal Artillery in WO97 box 1257.

FindMyPast has the images but the indexing is all messed up and to find them is a matter of trial and error, looking under other names around Reaugh. National Archives has the names http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/r/C8854667?ck=!&sUp=false&sK=C8854667

I found some papers for Joseph Reaugh indexed as James Reavy http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo97%2f1257%2f161%2f001&parentid=gbm%2fwo97%2f1257%2f713697

Born Donegal town circa 1786, enlisted 19 Dec 1804 and discharged 31 October 1825
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Otis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shaun;

Thank you very much for having a look into this. I believe this must be my Joseph Reaugh.

I had seen a reference to a Joseph Reaugh on the Findmypast site but on searching I was directed to someone named Reed instead. Am enquiring with their administrators on their indexing standards.

Hadn't seen the national archives one listed under Reavy, thanks for pointing that out.

I will try to obtain record. I see he was a Chelsea pensioner so must have been wounded and perhaps passed and would explain why Maria was a widower on her 1836 marriage cert.

Thanks again so very much. Your help is much appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

Mark

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes he had been wounded by gunshot  and this had left him with chronic rheumatism and pain in his left arm.

I see that on discharge he was given £1 marching money to Lisburn in Ireland, a certificate for free passage from Liverpool to Dublin, and 4/6 to cover his expenses while waiting in Liverpool.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk