Author Topic: Cooke emigration to Jamaica  (Read 12675 times)

Offline Niche

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cooke emigration to Jamaica
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 August 14 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi!

My family name is also Cooke, and live in London. I believe that My Grandfather (Lloyd Cooke) was from Westmorland. Unfortunately that is all I know as he died when my mother was quite young, and they lost contact with his side of the family. I believe he had around 2 sisters, one that lived in London and another that moved to America although again this could be inaccurate.

Offline DeDae2022

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 June 15 14:23 BST (UK) »
I'm a 35 year old Londoner who has recently embarked on a search for my maternal Grandfather and his family, I have very little details about him aside from his name which is Arthur Cooke, I believe he was from or at least lived and/or worked in Kingston at the time of my mothers birth in 1957 (so i guess 1955-57).  I was fascinated to find this forum and read the posts that are here and the possibility that i might be related to someone here.  I would really love to know more about the Cooke family history both in Jamaica and Britain, and more than happy to share email details with anyone would might be able to help me.

Thank you kindly.
Damian

Offline SeanJeremy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 22:25 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

I was absolutely fascinated the find this discussion being a Cooke descendant myself.

Alanna who posted earlier is my cousin. We share the same Grandparents in Aston Cooke Sr and Ena Cooke (both deceased). My mother Lilian (deceased) was their eldest child. They had 9 altogether. Aston, my Grandfather was the brother of the late Sir Howard Felix Cooke, founder of the People's National Party along with Norman Cooke and others.

Our Grandfather settled in Bristol after emigrating to the UK in the early 50's where he was a prominent figure in the West Indian and mainstream community. He owned property and was a Bishop in the Church of God of Prophecy, which he served for over 50 years as a Pastor both in the UK and America, until ill health forced him to retire.

The Cooke's as previously mentioned, settled in the Western past of Jamaica, Westmoreland, Montego Bay mainly.

My Grandfather Aston and Howard shared the same father, David Cooke, but not the same mother. David had many children and was a very handsome man, as was my Grandfather. I believe altogether there were something like 19 children, mainly boys. I believe 3 of David's children are still alive.

Sir Howard Cooke was very highly respected in Jamaica and internationally. He rose to prominence from being a country Headteacher, to become the Governor General of Jamaica. His wife Lady Ivy Cooke passed away a few months ago at 100 years of age. He predeceased her by two years and they were married for 75 years. His first words to her were "I am going to marry you." They met when they were both a Teacher training college.

Despite placing top of his class upon graduating from Mico College in Jamaica, the Caribbean's oldest teacher training institute and being offered Headteacher posts at prominent schools in Kingston, at the insistence of the Principal of the college, he went to a very rural school in Portland to take up the role of Headteacher there. The 12 years he spent there formed his character and a sense of service to others, which he took right up to the highest office in the land.

He left teaching and in between serving in political office, was also an insurance executive. He also served as the Minister of Education in Jamaica in the early-mid 70's.

All Cooke's in Jamaica are related in some way and this extends to the UK from where I believe the family originally hailed. Would be interested to learn more about who the first settlers from the UK were.

In Montego Bay where Sir Howard resided, his son Richard runs a well known Guest House and his other son Howard Cooke Jr. QC was formerly head of the High Court in Jamaica.

The main Highway into Montego Bay is called "Sir Howard Cooke Highway."

There are Cooke cousins from Aston and Ena's lineage in Nottingham, Bristol and London.

I welcome any information on who the first Cooke settlers in Jamaica were and when they settled there.

God Bless!

SeanJeremy

Offline TheCookeFamily

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 April 18 12:19 BST (UK) »
It is a pleasure to read all of this. I too am a descendant of the Cooke family. My grandmother was Howard's cousin. They moved to NY and raised 6 children. I have realized a thousand connections and am very please to connect to the roots I have in Jamaica. - Will

Offline Steve Cooke

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 February 19 08:23 GMT (UK) »
One of my ancestors James Cooke was born in 1709 in Brighton, Sussex, his father, Francis, was 24 and his mother, Mary, was 23. He married Mildred Brooker on 18 August 1742 in Lewes, Sussex. They had seven children in 22 years. He died in May 1773 in Savanna-la-Mar, Westmoreland, Jamaica, at the age of 64. As I understand it he was a Ships Captain so I am not sure if he lived in Jamaica or just died there.