Author Topic: Warwick Wills and Probate - Charles COWLEY 1852  (Read 1616 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Warwick Wills and Probate - Charles COWLEY 1852
« on: Tuesday 13 August 13 21:38 BST (UK) »
On 21 December 1852, Charles Cowley of Market Street, Warwick, died and was buried at St Mary Warwick aged 88.

What I am trying to establish is whether he left a will, and if not who letters of administration were granted to.

Can someone please help me with where a will for a Warwick-based man would be found?

The below website states "Most wills made by Warwickshire people were proved at the Dioceses of Worcester or Lichfield and will be found either at Worcestershire Record Office or Lichfield Record Office. Published indexes are available up to 1652."

http://heritage.warwickshire.gov.uk/warwickshire-county-record-office/county-record-office-collections/county-record-office-tracing-your-warwickshire-ancestors/#11

His family appear to have been quite well off so if he left a well, with property they may have owned I guess his will could be at either Worcestershire or Lichfield.

Does anyone please know if there are any other indexes anywhere which may help me find his will?

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Jon

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Warwick Wills and Probate - Charles COWLEY 1852
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 22:03 BST (UK) »
I had a similar query recently only for Dunchurch so I became acquainted with the diocesan split

Looking at familysearch it tells us

the parish of Warwick St Mary comes under the Worcester (Episcopal Consistory), so on that basis the will if there is one should be at Worcester archives. (Unless for some reason it was referred to Canterbury but I did not see it in a search of the national archives A2A). I would email the archives and ask them if they have a will for him and if so that you will buy a copy.

I recently did similar with Lichfield and it proved successful. (I actually emailed all three archives and Warwick archives confirmed that they had very few wills and only ones that were tied up with certain estates).

There is no index that I am aware of (and indeed none of the archives suggested there was one)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 23:03 BST (UK) »
Lichfield have indexed some but only from 1650-1750 but they do hold wills covering the time 1852.
It's all rather a mish-mash so it's best to email both repositories.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 July 17 12:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the very late reply to my post.

I am just going through various posts I made over the years and there are replies I never saw at the time! No idea why, maybe notiifications went to spam or something.

Anyway, I have just emailed the Worcestershire Archives so let's see if they come up with anything.

Thanks again for your help and again sorry for the four year delay in replying!

Kind regards,
Jon

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 July 17 12:33 BST (UK) »
Wills proven at Lichfield at now on Findmypast as they have an agreement with Staffordshire Archives.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day