Author Topic: HMS Hercules 1853 Port Adelaide  (Read 12023 times)

Offline CJB123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Hercules 1853 Port Adelaide
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 03 October 13 11:35 BST (UK) »
I have checked all  those sites, also have the Vic BDM and SA BDM, but nothing.  Even checked the NZ records but they give very little information.  Anyway will keep on looking!!!!!!

Many thanks for your help.
Adds (Surrey,Australia) Absalom (NBL England) Barrass (NBL, DUR, Australia) Frazer/Waugh (FERM Ireland, Australia) Johnston (CUMBRIA England, Australia) Blundell (Kent, Australia) Rattenbury (DEV England, Australia) Vallance (PAISLEY Scotland, Australia) Williams /Oats(ST JUST IN PENWITH Cornwall England, Australia)

Offline Ken Cameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 October 13 14:06 BST (UK) »
Cynthia

I looked up the birth and death records for Archibald in SA and found that the mothers name does not agree with the one I found in NU. That M-in-L was Ann Macpherson, hence she must have been married to a Mr McKenzie when Kersty was born in NU.

If you don't have it, or are interested, I can look for any info on that marriage/family in NU prior to the 1851 Census and get back to you.

Ken

Offline CJB123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 03 October 13 14:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ken, that would be interesting.  Kristy/Christy/Christian/Christiane's father was James McKenzie.

Cynthia
Adds (Surrey,Australia) Absalom (NBL England) Barrass (NBL, DUR, Australia) Frazer/Waugh (FERM Ireland, Australia) Johnston (CUMBRIA England, Australia) Blundell (Kent, Australia) Rattenbury (DEV England, Australia) Vallance (PAISLEY Scotland, Australia) Williams /Oats(ST JUST IN PENWITH Cornwall England, Australia)

Offline Ken Cameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 03 October 13 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Cynthia

Everything after these words was typed by me before seeing your above reply. It turns out to be nonsense, but I hope you can score me an E for effort  ::)

I attach the 1841 and 1851 census returns for district 10 in North Uist for your perusal in the form of PDF files.
The ages quoted in the 1841 census cannot be trusted as they were rounded down to the nearest 5 years. The census was taken by mainland (non-Gaelic speakers in the main) persons trying to note down and translate at the same time what the Gaelic speaking inhabitants were telling them. Hence the variations in name spelling like Macinsee, probably for McKenzie etc.
As a prime example of the discrepancies in the 1841 Census open both documents and scroll to Houghary Sch 22 in 1841 and Houghgary, Sc 20 1851. This is the same family 10 years apart, 8 in the household in 1841 and 5 in 1851. Compare the reported ages for the five common names in each census to see what I mean about trusting 1841 Census ages.

I think Your Kersty (McKenzie) Macdonald (age 34) of 1851 Sc 24 is Christiy Mackenzie (age 20) Sch 20 in the 1841 Census. You can see that her father was called Rory and her mother was Atty (Annie/Ann?). The reason I say this is that I recon her father died either just before or just after she married Donald and hence their firstborn son being named after her father instead of Donald’s father. This must be so, (if my 1841 suppositions are correct about that being Christy’s family at Sch 20) as the 1851 Census has Ann Macpherson U for unmarried and living with them as a Pauper.

Their second son being Alexander would suggest that that is the name of Donald’s father. For me to trace Donald’s family in the 1841 Census would be nigh on impossible without a lot more information about him.
1)   There are a lot of Donald Macdonald’s in NU.
2)   He may not have been living with his own family at the time of the 1841 Census.
3)   He could have been working with relatives in South Uist or Harris etc.
I know that this is not the information you were trying to find when you contacted me originally.

One other suggestion I thought of was to try the Chat Room in Rootschat. I got very good help and results from there when I was on it at the start of my Aussie search. They are very, very helpful in looking things up online as they chat with you.

Regards
Ken

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 07 October 13 08:23 BST (UK) »
I was interested in the info that has collected on this request, as I, too, had family set out (and arrive) in South Australia on the ship HERCULES.
Wondered if you had seen this site
http://www.angelfire.com/ns/bkeddy/HIES/hercules.html
Well worth a look...
Regards
PCB
Franklin - Mauritius
Zibell - Prussia, Australia
Frankham - Keynesham, London, Australia
Day - Minchihampton, GLS ENG
Folland - Barnstaple, DEV ENG
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia

Offline Ken Cameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 07 October 13 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi PCB

Thank you for your info, appreciate it.

I have already used that source and it was instrumental in providing the info about Murdoch Macdonald's new bride, which the shiplist site did not.

This site is also quite good for info on HMS Hercules passengers:

http://www.scan.org.uk/researchrtools/emigration.htm

I am sure you have perused it also.

Regards
Ken

Offline Jay0777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,

I was just having a quick look and found your post. I am sure I am connected, through my mother, to Donald Cameron, North Uist. Will have a look at everything I have later and if I have any further information I will let you know.

Regards.

Jay
Pollock, Thomson, Kane, Hutton, Johnston, McGeehan, Sweeney Moan, Patterson, Gilchrist, Davidson, Silver, Neilson, Porterfield, Meyrick

Offline Ken Cameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 27 February 14 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jay,

Thanks for your contact. You will be the first 'relative' I have contacted in my family tree info search, if it turns out that we are related through your mother to Donald Cameron.

My family contains many Donald names and the vast majority are from North Uist. It will be good to establish further connections for one of them.

Look forward to any info from you in the future.

Regards
Ken

Offline Jay0777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 27 February 14 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Thanks for getting back to me. As I've not looked at this side of the family in while everything is a bit mixed up. Until I have time to sort it out properly I list what I can. My Cameron's, so far are:

Donald Cameron b. c1796 to Malcolm Cameron and Ann MacDonald he married Christian/Christy Laing b. c1802 to Ranald Laing and Margaret MacDonald in around 1824.

Donald and Christys children:

Mary b. 1825
Malcolm b. 1827
Christy b. 1829
Ranald b. 1831
Ann b. 1833
Christy b. 1835
John b. 1837
Angus (not sure of birth date) my Gt. Gt. Grandfather

Angus married Catherine McKinnon daughter of William McKinnon and Margaret Morrison in 1863 and had a daughter Tina, my Gt. Grandmother who had a son Angus, my Grandfather. My mothers middle names are Laing, Cameron.

Hopefully this should tell you if we are researching the same family.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Jay
Pollock, Thomson, Kane, Hutton, Johnston, McGeehan, Sweeney Moan, Patterson, Gilchrist, Davidson, Silver, Neilson, Porterfield, Meyrick