Author Topic: SPAIN/PORTUGAL - Cartwright marriage to de Cruz  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SPAIN/PORTUGAL - Cartwright marriage to de Cruz
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Glory1505 that's wonderful.

Hope the second marriage info helped you also  :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glory1505,

I may have found something relevant in a newspaper announcement.

In the Saunders News Letter (Republic of Ireland) Thursday 30th August 1821 there is a death announcement....

At Guernsey, Captain William Cartwright of the 5th Royal Veteran Battalion.

Think that must be our William Cartwright don't you?

Best wishes HL

Offline Glory1505

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 22:06 GMT (UK) »
It could be.

Further research tells me that the Royal Veteran Battalions were disbanded by 1817 at the latest but he could still be referred to as a Veteran of that Regiment I guess. Interestingly his Battalion in 1814 (proposed year of George Waring's birth) was based on Orkney around that time where George gives his place of birth.

This is a helpful website - http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Britain/Infantry/Regiments/c_Veterans.html
Letting, Clout, Boys, Rickard, Godfrey, Burnett, Rolfe

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that is an interesting website.

The battalions movements are a bit confusing! Certainly Orkney seems to fit in ok and there is no doubt that George Waring Cartwright is his son.

Perhaps he stayed on in Guernsey and was known for his position as an officer after they disbanded?
Best wishes HL

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 15:39 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

You must both be careful who you are taking as your forebear. We have two different William Cartwright's here on this thread.

Reply #1 shows ENSIGN William Cartwright retiring on full pay in 1807.

Reply #21 shows CAPTAIN William Cartwright joining 5th Vet batt in 1805.

There is no way they can be the same man and we know from HL's other thread that she is looking at the former.

It would seem that Capt William Cartwright is formerly of the 90th foot, deep buff facings on uniform.

Ensign William Cartwright is possibly formerly of the 27th foot, pale buff facings on uniform.

5th veterans were based on Guernsey and Alderney and had no one on the Orkneys at any time.

9th veterans were based in Edinburgh and had 2 companies on the Orkneys from 1811.

How did Ensign Cartwright retire in 1807 but the serve on the Orkneys and father children there in 1814.

The facing colours on the uniform in HL's little portrait would indicate that it is of someone possibly in the 27th foot and not as ascribed in the 90th foot.

Just a little food for thought, John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 16:02 BST (UK) »
It is a bit of a nightmare. The Website with the miniature wouldn't claim it to be the 90th without provenance surely. The 90th did switch from white to buff facings on return to UK.

Then there's the Lady from Spain. The 90th were in Minorca 1798 and Cadiz and Malta 1800.

Why should a Captain in the Regulars transfer to a Garrison Battalion in 1801 unless there were health issues.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 16:14 BST (UK) »
Back again,

It is all very confusing, it is possible that someone else has also made a mistake in ID the man in the portrait. My book on British infantry uniforms shows no change of facing colour for the 90th.

I normally use the book by Michael Barthorp and the charts by Arthur Hamilton Smith. He was a serving officer and sketched and painted prodigously throughout his career. Regarded as one of the best sources of uniform colours for that era.

Of course it may be that the colours in the portrait are not accurate in which case I am wrong in my assumptions.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 16:32 BST (UK) »
Don't beat yourself up John. I was going to say that I have to desagree with you.

So far I think the Captain of the 90th is our man. I thought that I had explained that the 90th raised 1794 had white facings but had buff by 1802 when back in Uk. I referred to 9oth Regiment Images. There's a photo of the torn and tattered first stand of colours 1794 to 1801 with white background to regimental Colour. Oddly, the one for 1801 to 1817 looks yellow rather than buff.

He was in Minorca 1798, and Cadiz and Malta 1800, ideal for marrying a Spanish? wife. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.