Author Topic: SPAIN/PORTUGAL - Cartwright marriage to de Cruz  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SPAIN/PORTUGAL - Cartwright marriage to de Cruz
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 March 17 17:24 GMT (UK) »
It seems as though a lot of military records are lost but we're lucky to have the twins baptism.
My friend is descended from Rose's brother Joseph.

I'll have a closer look on Scotland's people website and just might find more on William. I expect you've already done that though.

More records may become available and if I find anything I'll get back to you  :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 March 17 22:32 GMT (UK) »
I've not been able to find anything about Valentina but I do know that her husband William Snr served in Menorca and Cadiz so it's fair to say that there is a chance he could have met her then. I've only been able to take the line down though.

Did you manage to find some military records Glory1505? It's very interesting that you know that William served in Menorca and Cadiz...... just what I wanted to hear really. That would make it all the more likely that Valentina is from Spain.

I think the burial record for 24th May 1810 is probably "our" Valentina. Perhaps in childbirth, since the twins would be 2 by then?

Best wishes HL

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 March 17 19:34 GMT (UK) »
There is a George Waring Cartwright whose marriage notice in 1838 lists him as the son of "the late Wm Cartwright, Ensign of the Royal Veteran Battalion" (http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/ )

According to later censuses (in Leicestershire) he was born around 1814 in Scotland - if this is correct, either the 1810 death is the wrong one or William remarried. It's also possible his age is off in the censuses, of course.

It seems both George and William Jr moved to Leicestershire - did William Sr have connections there? Where and when did he die - you might have luck finding probate records that could list other siblings, perhaps one born before the family moved to Scotland?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 March 17 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that jorose. More food for thought.

I've just checked on Scotlandspeople and there is no birth for George Waring Cartwright in 1814, or a window either side. In fact there appears to be no children other than William and Isabel.

Haven't managed to find William Snr anywhere in deaths or censuses as I know nothing about him. No age or place of birth to search under.

The record you found is conclusive proof he had another son though and perhaps the unusual middle name indicates a second marriage to a Miss Waring?

As I say..... food for thought  :)
Best wishes HL

Offline Glory1505

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 March 17 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I've not been able to find anything for William Snr or Valentina other than their names!

William features a lot in the archives of the Gazette though. You can pretty much track his military career through this. A friend did find some other military records. I'll have to dig them out. It's been a while since I looked into this branch of the family as I'd hit a brick wall with it.

My understanding (which may be wrong!) is that an Ensign is more of an administrative role for old soldiers or those not fit for active duty? In that case perhaps he could have been older than Valentina and he'd been married previously?

Just another theory but perhaps William died abroad and the records are elsewhere?
Letting, Clout, Boys, Rickard, Godfrey, Burnett, Rolfe

Offline Glory1505

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 March 17 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I can see a few census records for George Waring on ancestry giving his year of birth as 1814/1817 and place of birth as Scotland, in one case refined as Orkney.

He ends up master of a workhouse in Leicestershire.

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 March 17 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes without any information about William to start with it's hard to make progress. Also having no military knowledge is a drawback.

I still feel the death record for Valentine Cartwright must be for his wife, rather than another child, as the deaths of children on the same page state the parents names. This death just says Valentine Cartwright. I did notice that the figure 24 related to the date and not her age?

Certainly George Waring Cartwright is another son and he has an interesting selection of records available, including newspaper articles about a murder he committed. He was Master of a Workhouse.

The marriage report in the newspaper states that George is the second son of William...... who by this time is deceased.

I really would like to find the movements of William's Battalion prior to the birth of the twins though  :)

PS my post crossed with yours and I can see you know about George being Master of a Workhouse  :)
Best wishes HL

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Found a marriage record for Aug 27th 1810 at Canongate. William Cartwright, officer in the army, to Elizabeth Gordon formerly Stenhouse, daughter of William Gordon.

Looking like the death record is for Valentina and then William remarried and then George Waring Cartwright was born.

Would be great to hear about the battalions movements though Glory1505 as I'm still no nearer to understanding that side of things.
Best wishes HL

Offline Glory1505

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 08:06 GMT (UK) »
I don't know tonnes but this is what I do know in relation to his service in 90th Foot Regiment:

1794 - Promoted from Ensign to Lieutenant (served in Menorca 1798 and Cadiz and Malta 1800)

1801 - Promoted Lieutenant to Captain-Lieutenant

Same year promoted Captain-Lieutenant to Captain (served Egypt 1801)

1802 - Joined 6th Royal Garrison Battalion as Captain (Bn raised in Scotland)

1805 - Joined 5th Veteran Battallion

That's all I've sourced at the moment.