Author Topic: Help!! Alice Kenyon Westall Is Missing!  (Read 6201 times)

Offline GagaGram

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help!! Alice Kenyon Westall Is Missing!
« on: Thursday 15 August 13 02:35 BST (UK) »
I'm looking to find the death of my 3x great grandmother,who seems to have disappeared after 1851.

Alice Kenyon Westall/Westhall was born abt. 1825-26,place and parents unknown.She and her partner,Jams Westall(1824-1888 Rochdale) had my 2x great grandmother,Mary Ann Westall in 1850 Rochdale. No marriage record has been found. The 1845 Blackburn marriage betw. Kenyon-Westwell is not a match.
In 1851, James,Alice and Mary Ann are listed as Westhall, living at 15 Ann St. Greenock,Renfrewshire,Scotland. James is listed as a railway labourer.Census E.D.101- Greenock West-Pg.4. Also, living in the same household is poss. a sister/cousin? - Mary Kenyon Rowland & children. Mary Kenyon,born 1827-28 (dau. of Edmund/Edward Kenyon,corn miller) married William Rowland in 1845 Bury.

By 1865 Slaters Directory,James Westall is listed as a basket maker, living at 168 Oldham Rd. Manchester.
In 1861 Manchester census (2461/69 - pg.27) James Westall,brush maker, is living with his partner/later wife, Alice Barlow Westall and their 3mo. old son at 45 Crown Lane.
Daughter, Mary Ann Westall (1850) is living in 1861 Bury with her paternal grandmother at 14 Dawson Court.
Sister/Cousin, Mary Kenyon Rowland is also back living in Rochdale in 1861.She had a dau.,Alice Rowland (1850 Greenock,Scotland) and a son,WilliamRowland (1856 Arbroath,Scotland), who apparently died in Scotland before 1861.

Alice Kenyon Westall has not been found in any further England/Scotland census. No England death record has been found,that matches. An 1879 Manchester death of Alice Westhall does not appear to match.Age is right , but informant ,James Tetlow,coffin maker is not familiar. No death record betw.1851-1861 has been found in Greenock,Scotland. Could she have died in Arbroath,Scotland,poss. with the 2 Rowland children?

When James Westall finally married Alice Barlow in 1866 Rochdale,he is listed as a basket maker, widower, living on Crawford St. Rochdale.

Sorry, this is so lengthy,but wanted to include what I have ,so no one duplicates and wastes their time.Possibly, I'm missing something that another set of eyes can pick up.
Any help or suggestions to solve this long mystery,would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Lancs-Greenwood,Rhodes,Driver,Hitchen.Grindrod,Kenyon,Westall,Atkinson,Baines,Ireland. Lancs/Westmoreland -  Harling. Ches/Lancs. -  Boulton,Nield/Neild,Higham,Collier/Colliers.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help!! Alice Kenyon Westall Is Missing!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 August 13 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
Alice Westall born 1853 Wardleworth Rochdale mmn Kenyon.
Did she survive, if not, where is she buried?

Heather

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 August 13 13:55 BST (UK) »
Post deleted as i realised you had already discounted the blackburn marriage

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 August 13 20:11 BST (UK) »
I had a look round Scotland's People but couldn't see anything. As Scottish statutory registration of BMDs didn't begin untill 1855, it may be that Alice died in Scotland between 1851-1855, and there is no burial record surviving. There are birth and death records in the statutory registers for William Rowland (Arbroath 1856) and a birth for Sarah Rowland  (Arbroath 1858)

There is a marriage in Manchester 1854, James Westall to Alice Williamson:
Manchester Cathedral July 10th 1854
James Westall (X), basket maker, bachelor age 26 of 63 Portugal St. Father Richard Westall, printer.
Alice Williamson (signed), spinster age 23 of 168 Oldham Rd. Father Samuel Williamson, saddler.
Witnesses were James and Matilda Cresswell.

This is certainly the James Westall that married Alice Barlow in 1865 (same occupation and father), but is he your James Westall who also married/lived with Alice Kenyon?

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GagaGram

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 August 13 04:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather & Barbara,
Thank you,so much for your replies. I guess it can be assumed that Alice Kenyon Westall probably died in Scotland between 1851 & 1854.

Barbara, this 2nd marriage to Alice Williamson is news to me! Yes, this is the same James who was living with and later married Alice Barlow in 1866 Rochdale.
Blimey!! He was a partner/married to 3 women named Alice !! Well, at least he didn't have to remember a new forename each time he married !! That old bugger!

Could you tell me where Alice Williamson Westall was living in 1861 ? I wonder if she is the Alice Westhall whose death record I have for 1879 Manchester. Joseph Tetlow,informant could be her nephew. Or did she die before he married Alice Barlow in 1866,as he's listed as a widower?
This is really getting interesting,but confusing!

Thank you and all the other generous rootschatters for the time and help. I don't know where I'd be without you.
Best wishes,
Nancy
Lancs-Greenwood,Rhodes,Driver,Hitchen.Grindrod,Kenyon,Westall,Atkinson,Baines,Ireland. Lancs/Westmoreland -  Harling. Ches/Lancs. -  Boulton,Nield/Neild,Higham,Collier/Colliers.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 August 13 09:00 BST (UK) »
For reference, the witnesses at the second marriage:

Thomas Cresswell and Matilda Jackson at St Philip Manchester in 1859

Heather

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 August 13 09:03 BST (UK) »
John Tetlow married Matilda Williamson also known as Matilda Cresswell in 1855 Manchester St John
So that looks like the coffin maker's family.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 August 13 09:23 BST (UK) »
It looks like Matilda and Alice were sisters

Baptism: 25 May 1834 Collegiate, Manchester, Lancashire, England
Matilda Williamson - Daughter of Samuel Williamson & Betty
Abode: Salford
Baptised by: H. Fielding

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 August 13 13:27 BST (UK) »
Blimey!! He was a partner/married to 3 women named Alice !! Well, at least he didn't have to remember a new forename each time he married !! That old bugger!

Could you tell me where Alice Williamson Westall was living in 1861 ? I wonder if she is the Alice Westhall whose death record I have for 1879 Manchester.

I think it's probably Alice Williamson Westall's death in 1879; first because of the connection with the Tetlows that Heather found  :D and second, James is still with his third, Alice Barlow Westall in 1881 (5 Fieldhouse Lane, Wardleworth, surname Westhall). She's still alive in 1911 according to census, with married daughter Mary Ellen Mitchell.
There is a death for Alice Westall on FreeBMDs - Alice Westall age 75, death reg. Rochdale 2nd quarter 1913. That could be Alice Barlow Westall's death.

:) Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk