Author Topic: Samuel PARKER b 1796 Bitton  (Read 5717 times)

Offline WendyLou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel PARKER b 1796 Bitton
« on: Thursday 15 August 13 07:39 BST (UK) »
Hi all.

I am trying to solve a mystery re Samuel PARKER - born Bitton, Gloucestershire 1796; died Sep 17 1843 in Kingswood, Gloucestershire, and his family.
His 7 children have different last names ...
(1)William Parker Evans b 1821 Kingswood d 1856 Blaenavon, Wales (m Ann Evans b 1822 in Kingswood, Gloucestershire)
(2) Harriet (Hetty) Parker b 1825
(3) John Parker b 1826 d 1885
(4) Elizabeth Parker b 1827 d 1935
(5) Abner Parker b 1831 d 1891 Keynsham, Gloucestershire (m 1854 in St Mary's Bitton to Mary Gage b 1831)
(6) Ann Parker b 1835 d 1930 and
(7) Robert Parker Evans b 1836 Bitton, d 1887 Blaenavon, Wales (m Mary Ann Stock d 1879 - from Bedminster, Somerset)

My question relates to the change of last name from the father's last name of Parker, to Evans, with Parker being the middle name -but only for the oldest and the youngest sons?? The two middle boys retained the name Parker. Interestingly, the oldest son William, married an Evans ... ?

An old family "myth" said that the father was caught for sheep stealing, and the kids headed over the border into Wales, changing their name at the same time. This is plausible, but why only the oldest and the youngest changing their last name???

Hope someone can help ... thanks in advance.
Wendy

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel PARKER b 1796 Bitton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 August 13 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,
I thought I would try and find the baptism of Samuel PARKER at Bitton first, as I might then be able to find the marriage of his parents which might have held a clue. I have checked the Bitton Baptism records and there is NO baptism of a Samuel PARKER 1795-1797.
I did, on the other hand, find a baptism for a Samuel PARKER, son of Samuel & Elizabeth, at Winterbourne on 27th January 1797.
Best I can do.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline WendyLou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 August 13 08:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Victor ... I was working from a Census record for his birth year, so he actually may well have been 'your find' ... I shall keep on looking, using your information now.

Much obliged.
Wendy

Offline Linda d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 June 15 20:49 BST (UK) »
hi Wendy Lou,

I can not answer your question but am as interested in the answer as you are.
My great Grandfather was Abner Parker b 1831 married to Mary Gage b1834.
They had six children
Samuel Parker b1858 in Bitton (labourer)
Jane b1859 In Bitton ( boot trade)
Tamer b1864 (boot trade)
Alice b 1867 (apprentice)
William b 1870 (scholar)
Harry b1879

Harry was my grandfather and married Laura Hawkins. They had five children,
Doris b1901 d 1960 married Walter  Grindel, Walter Grindel was in the army and became Major Walter Grindel, one son Bazil lived in India then in Yorkshire.
Ethel May b 1905 d 1907
Marion b 1909 married Charles Tubb, had two sons Brian and Derek.
Harry b 1912 d1980. Married Norah Kelly, two daughters, Jean b1942, and Linda b 1947 (me)
Phyllis's, married Fred Boxall and lived in Portsmouth with four children, Roger, Robin, Jill and
Geoffrey.

None of this answers your question but if I find anything out I will let you know. Also if you would like any more details.

Kind regards, Linda.

Offline WendyLou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda
Thanks for the additional Parker family information.
At least there's at least 2 of us on the trail ....
Regards, Wendy :)

Offline Linda d

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

I was really excited when Victor said that he had found a baptism for a Samuel Parker in Winterbourne who fitted our dates but now do not think this is Samuel Parker father of Abner.
I tried to find the Winterbourne baptisms for myself to look for possible siblings etc. I went on line to www.frenchaymuseumarchives.co.uk, clicked on archives and then Parish records Winterbourne.

I found the baptism of Samuel Parker son of Samuel and Elizabeth Parker b 27th January 1797. I tried scanning up under marriages to try to get Elizabeth's maiden name and then looked for possible siblings of Samuel and found under deaths Samuel Parker buried 27th January 1797. I rather think that this is the same Samuel and that  Samuel probably only lived a few hours.  Further details if you would like to check it is in the Parish Records Copy of Register 5 Gloucester (to wit) I wish that I had not found this so now we must look again. Please let me know if you find any thing.

I have also been trying to track down both William and Robert Parker Evans but as yet with out any success. There are an awful lot of Evans in Blaenavon! It is strange that only the oldest and youngest should add Evans to their name.

Kind regards

Linda.

Offline WendyLou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 July 15 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda
I am pretty sure his Samuel's father and grandfather were both called Samuel ... so perhaps the death was for either of them?
I think Elizabeth was a Cook prior to her marriage - Oct 1 1788 at St James, in Bristol???? If this is right "our" Samuel had a brother John - born 1791 in Winterbourne.
Will keep looking, and thanks for your input. Maybe we shouldn't write this one off just yet :-)
Regards
Wendy

Offline Morganale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 November 17 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I am Samuel Parker's great great great granddaughter descended through Robert Parker Evans.
Samuel died in 1843 of liver disease. His wife Mary had died in 1841 of TB. The family lived in Kingswood just off Cock Road  which was a notorious place for poverty and criminals. Can I recommend two pamphlets about this, which will Illustrate the conditions they lived in and why it is likely they were sheep stealers.
The Cock Road Gang by Steve Mills, Bristol Radical Pamphleteer Pamphlet 28
 an A Barbarous and ungovernable people!; a short history of the miners of Kingswood Forest. By Steve Mills, Bristol Radical Pamphleteer Pamphlet 11. These are available from the Bristol Records Office.
My Grandfather, Obadiah Evans of Blaenavon, was Robert Parker's grandson. He knew him and he used to tell us, as children that his ancestors were sheep stealers from Bristol who ran away from the authorities. They came to Blaenavon to get work and changed their name to Evans to avoid detection.They chose Evans as it was a common Welsh name.
 It appears that only William, John and Robert did this. Presumably Abner Parker was not involved as he is recorded in the census of 1861 as living in Gee Mor, Tennis Court Lane, Kingswood next door to the Pub the Anchor Made for Ever.
Regarding your query why they used both names. As far as I am aware they did not. When I discovered this branch of the family I had to put in both surnames (On another family research site beginning with A)  to get the correct search results. They are not recorded as having used both names together on the census or any other documents. In 1841 they are all Parkers and in 1851 three (William, John and Robert) have change their names to Evans and live in Blaenavon. 
Recently, criminal records from Bristol Assizes have become available and there are several instances of a Samuel Parker and a John Parker being arrested and imprisoned for short periods of time for larceny. I have not been able to find out if these are our ancestors.
I have not been able to trace any of Samuel Parker's daughters after 1841. Any information would be appreciated. I assume they married after their parents died or lived with their married relatives so I don't know their names.
Similarly I cannot find Samuel or Mary's parents. I too am not sure of the Winterbourne connection at this point. However, Robert Evans' son Obadiah (Senior) married Ann Tuck. Ann's brother Charles Tuck married Ann Tanner  whose mother Rebecca and siblings came from Winterbourne and moved to Pwlldu  on the outskirts of Blaenavon.
I hope this information is helpful.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 November 17 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry:

Sentences of the Prisoner at Gloucester Summary Assizes 1817

Joseph PARKER and John PARKER alias EVANS

for stealing 10 shirts and shifts, and other wearing appael, value 4l, and a quantity of potatoes, value 2l from Thos. PRATTEN at Bitton.

Acquitted

---

?  1841 census, Bitton

just after Kingswood

Lanthorn?Bottom

John PARKER - 75
Hannah PARKER - 75
Samuel EVINS - 15

Thomas PRATTEN is a few doors away from the family on the 1841 census

-----

? go back again - as these is a marriage at Bitton of Hannah EVANS - Servant to John GARLAND - (21 August 1815) with the mark of Ann X EVANS - and this couple named a son Samuel  (tree on Ancestry)-

---

Think Joseph PARKER on the 1851 census, at Bitton is probably Samuel's brother and he appears to have children with family names

Fools Hill

PARKER

Joseph - 50 - Coal Miner
Faith -  wife - 54
Hester - 25
Samuel - 16
John - 13

(Joseph PARKER married Faith ROWBORNE 1821, St Philip & St Jacob) and on the 1841 census Bitton

PARKER

Jas - 40
Faith - 40
Thos - 15
Geo - 15
Saml - 6
John - 4