Author Topic: Robert Smith - who are his parents?  (Read 4622 times)

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Smith - who are his parents?
« on: Thursday 15 August 13 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for a Robert Smith prior to 1871.

He appears on the 1871 census aged 13 years, with his parents, John Smith (born around 1820 in Woolwich, Kent), his mother, Janet, (born around 1834 in Wigtonshire).
Robert was born around 1858 in Maryport, Wigtonshire, and on his marriage certificate in 1883 he does name a John Smith as his father.
His sister, Mary Ann, who was born around 1870, was born, perhaps, somewhere in Cumberland.

By 1871, the family are residing in Hunsonby and Winskell, near Carlisle, where John was a railway labourer.
He was dead by 1881, and by this time the family are living in Merrington, near Bishop Auckland.

I cannot find a marriage between John and Janet, nor any evidence of Robert's birth in Wigtonshire.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

Sue

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Smith - who are his parents?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 August 13 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue ,

You would need to check the original , but this reference has Mary born Scotland -
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V5B2-459

ev

Added - I note the 1881Census has Mary born Cumberland.
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 August 13 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Have you checked this marriage out on Scotland's People https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY7G-V84

The names Janet/ Jane and Jean could be interchangable.

Looby :)

Added- Not sure about above couple :-\.Don't think they are the right parents for Robert.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

After giving your query some thought and coming up with nothing  :-\ either in the birth records or the 1861 census, I’m beginning to wonder if John Smith was really Robert’s biological father, particularly noting the 13 year gap between his birth and Mary Ann’s.  This gives rise to two possibilities: Janet was unmarried when she met John or she was a widow.  Have you thought along these lines?

What has turned up is a possible birth record for Mary Ann in Cumberland.  I stress possible because there is another Mary Ann born 3rd qtr 1869 in Penrith, so not an uncommon name: http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Mary Ann Smith 1870 4th qtr Vol: 10b, Page: 407 Penrith, Cumberland

Also John Smith’s likely baptism record is on A*ry, London, England Births & Baptisms 1813 – 1906:

John Smith 4th March 1821 Woolwich St Mary Magdalene.  His parents were James Smith, Private, Mounted Troop at the Artillery Barracks, and his wife, Maria.  Their other children include James 1819 & Robert William 1823.  If you can’t access the image let me know.

brigau

Offline Ian Dav

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 September 13 12:48 BST (UK) »
Robert Smith is my G Grandfather

I have a copy of the Marriage Certificate for Robert Smith and his age is given as 27 years as 19 May 1883 therefore if this is correct his year of birth is 1855 or 1856.  A little earlier than the census shows.

His farther is John Smith from Woolwich. I'm not sure about his age at death, but he is still living at the time of the wedding.

Ian D