Author Topic: Haddington & nearby christenings for COCKFIELD for 1790-1820  (Read 16174 times)

Offline Bonza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Solving mysteries, that's the life!
    • View Profile
Re: Haddington & nearby christenings for COCKFIELD for 1790-1820
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

Thanks for that  list of OPRs at ScotlandsPeople.

So I've checked and now I know my COCKFIELD lot's christenings and parent's marriage are not in these records for the area between 1780-1811. The don't come up in the Catholic records either.

Does anyone know if there other marriage or christening records like non-conformist records from the Haddington and District area for this period?

Many thanks

Regards, Bonza
Gill (Northants & Oxfordshire), Cockfield (Scotland), Sherriff (Leicestershire, Northants, Oxon & Bucks), Lindsay (Cumberland), Lacey (Somerset), Bisson (Guernsey, CI), Claringbold (Kent & London), Boyd (Dublin, Ire), Crouch (Sussex), Leviston (Dublin), Trand (Clare, Ire), Lewin (London & Surrey). 1824-1825 Hume & Hovell Expedition to Port Phillip - party members Hamilton Hume, William Hilton Hovell, Thomas Boyd, Henry Angel, James Fitzpatrick, Claude Barrois, Benjamin Smith & Samuel Bullard.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Bonza,

In the National Archives of Scotland, in the list of records kept,

"Churches

Kirk session, presbytery and synod records for the Church of Scotland, Free Church, and various dissenting ('seceding') congregations; records of the Scottish Episcopal Church; copies of the records of baptisms, marriages and burials for Roman Catholics before 1855. Note that Church of Scotland baptisms, marriages and burials are held by the General Register Office for Scotland although there are a small number of records of baptisms for 1843-1860 held by the NAS."

So they are in the NAS, but they are not online, it would take someone to visit, and I know it is  a bit far for you to consider. If you read the NAS details, they do searches for you, at a price, but all listed there. Some kind rootschatter maybe going so could assist you if they have time.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Bonza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Solving mysteries, that's the life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 17 October 13 05:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

Thanks for the further NAS tip and references.

Yep, you're right, it's a bit far from Australia for me to visit at the moment.

If there are any Rootschatters heading to the NAS (address info below) who feel like helping me out by looking through the church records for my 'Cockfield' surname family between 1780-1820 at any time, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks again for your help.

In anticipation  ::)

Cheers for now, Bonza
Gill (Northants & Oxfordshire), Cockfield (Scotland), Sherriff (Leicestershire, Northants, Oxon & Bucks), Lindsay (Cumberland), Lacey (Somerset), Bisson (Guernsey, CI), Claringbold (Kent & London), Boyd (Dublin, Ire), Crouch (Sussex), Leviston (Dublin), Trand (Clare, Ire), Lewin (London & Surrey). 1824-1825 Hume & Hovell Expedition to Port Phillip - party members Hamilton Hume, William Hilton Hovell, Thomas Boyd, Henry Angel, James Fitzpatrick, Claude Barrois, Benjamin Smith & Samuel Bullard.