Author Topic: Hamilton family (Derry, Londonderry, Northern Ireland)  (Read 4864 times)

Offline laurene_hamilton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hamilton family (Derry, Londonderry, Northern Ireland)
« on: Friday 16 August 13 22:16 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I'm trying to piece together my family history and would like some information about my Great grandfather of Londonderry 'James Hamilton' who ran the Hamilton Shirt Factory in Derry Londonderry.

I have done some research and I know that there was a James Hamilton who was Lord Mayor of Londonderry in 1927 and wondered if he was in relation to my GGF.

James Hamilton had 5 children: Alan, Ian, Joseph-Boyd (my grandfather), Colin and Elizabeth.

Elizabeth Hamilton was matron of Altnagelvin Hospital, Londonderry in the 60's

If anyone knows of any information that they could pass on, it would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hamilton family (Derry, Londonderry, Northern Ireland)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 August 13 22:26 BST (UK) »
Someone else had a connection to the same Hamiltons-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=532833.0

The latest available Irish census is 1911 and the online civil registration index only goes up to 1921 for Northern Ireland counties so it will be difficult to find recent family details online.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Trevor Wilson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 July 18 05:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Laurene,

My Grandfather is also Joseph Hamilton (on my Mum's side (Kathleen Anne). Not sure where you got to with your research but James was definitely mayor and had shirt factory according to Mum. I remember visiting the shirt factory as a kid in 1980s. Gone now of course. I'm trying to figure how you are grand daughter of Joseph and Margaret (Granny Ham). Is there a part of the family I don't know about?? Or do I have it completely wrong..

Kind regards
Trevor Wilson

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 July 18 08:58 BST (UK) »
James Hamilton (mayor) was the brother of Kate and Samuel Hamilton who came out to NZ in the 1920s. Neither Sam nor Kate had any family but were very close friends and neighbours of my grandparents.  They also had a brother David Hamilton in NZ who did marry and had a son named Whitty.

Samuel Hamilton emigrated to Melville, Hamilton, NZ in 1920 via Canada along with my gt Uncle George Washington Searles Dougherty and his wife Kathleen nee Switzer.

Kate emigrated from Londonderry early in 1922 with my grandparents, Oswald George Livingston and wife Wilhelmina Foster Dougherty. Both families lived with the Hamiltons in Melville until they built their own homes. My grandparents lived next door.

Another brother was Joe Hamilton. Previous post is probably related to him.

I cannot give you many dates as I do not have the Hamiltons in my family tree. My cousin, who lives just outside Hamilton(confusing)  has previously posted a photo of both Kate and Sam's headstones that he took some years ago.

Cheers

Linda (NZ)

Offline BHamilton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 June 20 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hiya, I’ve been reading some of the posts about the Hamilton’s from Derry.
I’m actually a member of this family and have done the genealogy of us. I’ve spoken to my Grandda who asked me to post on this for him, he’s also called James Joseph Hamilton.
Feel free to get in contact :)
Good evening,

I'm trying to piece together my family history and would like some information about my Great grandfather of Londonderry 'James Hamilton' who ran the Hamilton Shirt Factory in Derry Londonderry.

I have done some research and I know that there was a James Hamilton who was Lord Mayor of Londonderry in 1927 and wondered if he was in relation to my GGF.

James Hamilton had 5 children: Alan, Ian, Joseph-Boyd (my grandfather), Colin and Elizabeth.

Elizabeth Hamilton was matron of Altnagelvin Hospital, Londonderry in the 60's

If anyone knows of any information that they could pass on, it would be really appreciated.

Thank you