Author Topic: Old Logie (Perthshire) churchyard  (Read 4399 times)

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Old Logie (Perthshire) churchyard
« on: Saturday 17 August 13 14:48 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

Has anyone been to or know of a churchyard in Logie, Perthshire (back when it was in Perthshire)?  I am hoping that some of my ancestors with the names of Monteath/Monteith/Monteth and quite possibly with the names of Kinros(s) (Malcom - d. 1657 in Hillhead, and Geils - d. 1669) and Christian Eadie are buried there.  The Monteaths lived at Park of Jerah, Logie, Perthshire.

Here are the names:
Andrew Monteath (d. Sep 1664) and his wife Geils Kinross (d. 1669, her father Malcom d. 1657)
Patrick Monteath and his wife Margaret Gillespie
Alexander Monteath (d. May 1773) and his wife Elizabeth Monteath (d. Jan 1764) (and her parents Alexander Monteath and Margaret ?)
John Monteath (d. about 1801) and his wife Christian Eadie
John Monteath and his wife Mary McLaurin (both d. about 1830 in Duchally, Perthshire so it's a long shot that they would be buried there).

If someone is able to find it and go there please let me know if you would be kind enough to either get the inscriptions and/or pictures.

Thank you,
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Logie (Perthshire) churchyard
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 August 13 21:06 BST (UK) »
If this is Jerah where the tragedy took place then the locality is Blairlogie, rather than Logie.

Perhaps the Stirlingshire Area forum would be better at answering this question.

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 August 13 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Troth,

Could you explain about the tragedy that took place in Jerah?

Thank you,
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 August 13 21:20 BST (UK) »
This is a link to the source which follows:

http://www.blairlogie-scotland.org/a-guided-walk-to-jerah.html

August 1869 edition of the GlasgowHerald reported a “Horrible tragedy on the Ochils”.

The paper reported that Andrew Ewing had been unwell for some days and showing signs of insanity.  As Dr Paterson of Bridge of Allan approached the house, the two children descried him and rushed into the house crying that “the doctor was coming”.  Mr Ewing had been in bed and, hearing the children, suggested that he come down stairs to meet the doctor and asked his wife for a glass of whisky.  Whilst getting the whisky she heard a groan and a fall and found her husband with his pocket knife sunk into his neck up to the haft. Mr Ewing then ran from the house towards Crunie Glen and after a struggle he threw himself down the 80 feet to his death. If you are there and you feel an eerie chill, maybe it’s not the wind but the ghost of Andrew Ewing.

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 19:49 BST (UK) »
There is Old Logie Churchyard up the hill from Logie Churchyard (in Logie would you believe!)

Have a wee look here for some pictures of Old Logie: http://memento-mori.co.uk/44.pdf

Only a couple of Monteaths listed but much, much later than the ones you are looking for.

See: http://memento-mori.co.uk/43.pdf for Logie Churchyard & Cemetery

Lots of Monteaths there, but again, not as early as yours.

The 2 places are no more than 5 minutes apart and I believe the Old Churchyard has been renovated over the last couple of years. They are both on Hermitage Road, off Hillfoots Road (A91) on the north east side of Stirling.

Anne

Offline Alba11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 15:06 BST (UK) »
There is an organisation called Logie Old Graveyard group (Logieogg) who have a website www.logieogg.com   They have been recording the stones in recent years and may be able to help.

Ken

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Old Logie (Perthshire) churchyard
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 September 17 00:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who responded.  I managed to get to the Old Logie churchyard in Sept. 2015.  The organization that is caring for the churchyard was kind enough to send me any information they had.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem like any of my direct line ancestors are buried there.