Author Topic: Robert Clark  (Read 3116 times)

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Clark
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 August 13 09:57 BST (UK) »

1881 shows Ellen Gentle OK, must just predate oldest child - and no sign of RC in the area !

1881 census just predated Harry Gentle's birth.  In 1891, Harry is staying with Ellen's father George Gentle and her sister Ann Millard.

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 August 13 11:37 BST (UK) »
I can find no trace of him in pre 1881 censuses. I'm afraid it's hard cash time, as I think you need both the marriage cert and the 1845 birth cert to confirm that it is the same father on each of them.

Do you have the birth certificates of any of the children evidencing that Robert was the father? It's slightly odd that in 1891 when Robert was alive they were all enumerated as Gentle, yet once he was dead, in 1901 (Clarke) and 1911 they were enumerated as Clark. What name did the children use when they married? If Robert was the father of Harry who you say was born in 1881 then he should have been in Stotfold or thereabouts on 3 Apr 1881. So where was he??
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 August 13 21:59 BST (UK) »
I can find no trace of him in pre 1881 censuses. I'm afraid it's hard cash time, as I think you need both the marriage cert and the 1845 birth cert to confirm that it is the same father on each of them.

Do you have the birth certificates of any of the children evidencing that Robert was the father? It's slightly odd that in 1891 when Robert was alive they were all enumerated as Gentle, yet once he was dead, in 1901 (Clarke) and 1911 they were enumerated as Clark. What name did the children use when they married? If Robert was the father of Harry who you say was born in 1881 then he should have been in Stotfold or thereabouts on 3 Apr 1881. So where was he??

Thank you for that David.

The only birth certificate I have is for Harry Gentle which has Robert down as the father, and Ellen as mother.  I wonder if Robert was a plasterer. Could he have been moving around the area?

I am going to send for Robert and Ellens marriage certificate, and think it is worth a punt on the 1845 birth cert.

Most of my family lines I can trace back to the distant past, with this exception.  I am totally confused. As you say, in 1881 they are using Gentle and in 1901 Clarke.  The only thing I can say with certainty is that my GG Grandfather Harry used the name Gentle throughout his life, and family members can remember Nellie, who also used the name Gentle.

It may be a case of order and wait.

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865