Author Topic: Trail goes cold in Shropshire  (Read 7286 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trail goes cold in Shropshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 16:19 BST (UK) »
Familyseach should really only be used as a guide, and things double checked by looking at original Parish Registers.
To be thorough in your research it will take a lot more than a few clicks of a mouse - it can take years and years, and will involve trawling through parish registers either in person at the relevant record offices, or by ordering the films to your local LDS centre from the familysearch site.
And often looking at siblings, wills, trade directories, etc to try and back up evidence. And to look at christenings, marriages and burials to piece it all together. There may be a chr of a Joe Bloggs who fits nicely with a man you find marrying and having a family 20 years later - but not if you then find his infant burial a few days later.

And remember familysearch is not complete - just because a Joe Bloggs of the right age comes up, doesnt mean it is the right one. The right one might not be on there at all.

But it is VERY useful as a starting place.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 17:01 BST (UK) »
and the Eliza Ellis who is a visitor in 1871 census you referred to born in everton Liverpool has to be a relative, maybe direct or by marriage, so that is a clue to follow up.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 17:16 BST (UK) »
Just to point out that it is not always easy, familysearch has an Eliza elliss  (with two ss es) shown as living in Madeley Shropshire in the 1841 census, but I only found that by searching the name Elliss

Offline alfred412

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 August 13 10:07 BST (UK) »
Okay thanks all :)

Is there a way of seeing a full list of Parish Registers online? Or even which are in the process of being digitized? Or do I have to go up and check the parish itself?

Offline Beatle

• RootsChat Member
  • Dey do dough do dee?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 November 13 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Whoooo  I think you are related to my wife's line  :)

My wife's gt gt gt grandfather was Thomas Ellis (1806) brother of Charles (1815) and son of Benjamin and Sarah Ellis nee Hill. I know from Thomas's Will that Charles
was  a verger at the Temple Church. Lothian road, London

Benjamin was married 31 Dec 1804. St Chad, Shrewsbury, Shropshire

Cheers

Beatle
Jones/Bangor / Liverpool
Hopley Cliffe Williams Vernon Done / Cheshire
Hill Mounsey Haugh / Cumberland
Postlethwaite Witter / Liverpool

Offline alfred412

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 December 13 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hiya, that sounds possible. On Charles' death certificate his occupation is a tax inspector, and on his marriage certificate he's a 'conveyancer'. It's not inconceivable that a change of occupation from verger occurred, especially as Charles, and all his descendants up to the war (bomb damage destroyed the office), did live and work not far away from Temple Church, on Chancery Lane, which is pretty much opposite.

I have Benjamin's wife down as Sarah Briggs, but I have no idea why. I can't find anything that says as much. I think that Benjamin is the son of Benjamin and Jane Ellis, so if that tallies up with you then we might be on to something.

Did Thomas stay in Shropshire or did he also move to London?

Regards

Offline Beatle

• RootsChat Member
  • Dey do dough do dee?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 December 13 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi alfred412

Thomas lived in Islington, London. I guess Thomas and Charles moved down sometime in the early 1830s. Thomas married in 1835 at St Andrew's Holborn, London and his first child Elizabeth Jane was baptised 1 Aug 1836, Islington. His first job was as a milkman but then as an under porter at the Inner Temple, Farringdon. Thomas died in 1866 and left a small Will. The Will states 'Charles his brother' My wife is decended via his daughter Sarah Ann Ellis.

The 1851 census shows Thomas and his mother Sarah together in Fetter Lane, she was 76. She must have moved down later perhaps when she became a widow. I haven't found Sarah as yet in the 1841 census.

Beatle
Jones/Bangor / Liverpool

Offline Beatle

• RootsChat Member
  • Dey do dough do dee?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 December 13 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Also....have you got Charles in the 1841 census? As there is one (a clerk aged 25) in the Inner Temple where Thomas was working/living. Seems too good to dimiss.

Beatle
Jones/Bangor / Liverpool

Offline alfred412

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 02 December 13 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

That's really interesting, builds up a nice picture of what they were doing. Since Charles in later life went on to be a tax assessor and conveyancer they both require (I would have thought) some formal training, the kind of thing a clerk would have, especially around that area, Temple, where you have the bars.

What is an under porter? I wonder what they were doing when they first moved down, and what prompted them to move.

I haven't found anything in the 1841 census. Can you show me the page?

It certainly seems logical that they are brothers.

Many thanks