Author Topic: William John Gabbie Vet in Dundalk  (Read 11390 times)

Offline Dot Boyd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William John Gabbie Vet in Dundalk
« on: Tuesday 20 August 13 21:01 BST (UK) »
I have spent a few days in Dundalk searching for a vet called William Gabbie who died about 1917. Through the library  in Dundalk I found his wife Grissella died 1910 and I have found  he remarried 1911 - that is the problem I have the choice of three people Johnston, Montgomert or Grey .  I visited the cemetery on the Newry Road but didn't find the graves. Does anyone know anything re the Gabbie family in Dundalk having come from Armagh. Any help would be appreciated

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William John Gabbie Vet in Dundalk
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 21:22 BST (UK) »
This might help-
"In the 1830s John Gabbie was a surgeon living in Scotch St. Armagh. Presumably he worked in the local hospital. He had at least two sons both of whom became vets. I believe the elder went into partnership with a Wm Smith at 32 Scotch St. Wm Smith died in 1872 and in 1878 his widow married Wm Gabbie the younger vet.He went to Dundalk and appeared to prosper.He had no family.When his wife died in 1909 he married the sister of another vet from Dundalk."
http://genforum.genealogy.com/gabbie/messages/6.html

Also-
"My great-grandmother (maiden name Isabella McReynolds) was first married to William Smith who was a vet in Armagh. After William's death she married William John Gabbie and the family moved to Jocelyn Street in Dundalk." and "William John Gabbie was a graduate of Glasgow University (15 April 1874). The Royal College of Veterinary Science records show that he died on 28 November 1917."
http://genforum.genealogy.com/gabbie/messages/7.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Dot Boyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 22:26 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply . I have John Gabbey born Holywood 1820 married 1848 , he was a medical doctor in Holywood and Belfast. His only son I can find was William John Gabbey born 1854 in Holywood and he later became a vet in Armagh. William John was Gabbey when married in Armagh but became Gabbie in Dundalk. W J Gabbey married Grissella Smith  nee Dunlop  widow of William Smith  1878 in Armagh and Grissella died in Dundalk 8/2/1910. Grissella was married first 1862 in Derrynoose C of I.   W J Gabbey's sister married Hugh Browne Belfast. It is the Dundalk part I find hard to unravel.  Thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 23:05 BST (UK) »
For reference, here's the 1901 census entry for William Gabbie & wife Grissella-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Louth/Dundalk_Urban_No__4_/Jocelyn_Street/1561986

William John Gabbie in 1911- along with an unmarried sister so not the one who married Hugh Browne-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Louth/Dundalk_Urban_No__4/Jocelyn_Street/578568

Here's the 1911 marriage-
William John Gabbie, Oct./Dec.1911 Dundalk registration district, volume 2, page 817
Four possible brides- Sydney Graham, Maria? Louisa Gray, Matilda Johnston, Lucy Montgomery

Other than getting the marriage certificate you could look for an announcement in local newspaper if you have access to such- although being an older groom and previously married a notice might not have been put in the newpaper.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 23:06 BST (UK) »
"He had no family.When his wife died in 1909 he married the sister of another vet from Dundalk."
http://genforum.genealogy.com/gabbie/messages/6.html

Wonder who the other vets in Dundalk would have been...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 23:29 BST (UK) »
Deaths in Dundalk district with surname of Gabbie:
Grissella (1910, age 74)
Sarah (1911, age 59)
William (1916, 62)
Of course William's 2nd wife could have died after 1958 or elsewhere...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 23:44 BST (UK) »
William Gabbie was listed as Presbyterian in both census- and Dundalk Presbyterian Church is also on Joceyln St. so that's probably the church he would have attended but not sure that they have a graveyard and Presbyterian churchs often don't have a burial register.
The Church of Ireland (St. Nicholas') isn't far away either but he could have been brought back up North for burial in a family plot.

Offline Dot Boyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 13:38 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your help. William John's father was buried C O I Holywood Co Down and only father and mother buried there. Sister Sarah Ann , not married, died at William John's  after Grissella died so I expect she is buried there. Presbyterian Church has no graveyard and the C O I 's graves finished about 1898 . It appears the burials after 1898 were to the cemetery about one mile out on the Newry Road. I walked there Saturday week ago searching the cemetery, the protestant section is very small and some headstones are illegible, My trip was in vain. In the library I found the death announcement of Grissella 8/2/1910 At jocelyn St  interred in St Patricks Cemetery. You mentioned William John siblings they were -  Mary no birth date, Elizabeth Jane born 1848 married Brown, Sarah Ann born  1852 and then William John 1854 all born Holywood.
I am researching the Brown tree and William John 's grandfather was Ballagh and the family are mentioned in his will.
When we hit a "brick wall" we ask for help and that was where I was.
Again many thanks

Offline DavidAW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 21:00 BST (UK) »
William Gabbie, a vet in Dundalk, was my step-great grandfather.  His step-son was my great grandfather.  My grandmother (William Gabbie's step daughter) married Samuel Whan in Dublin in about 1898.  Their first child (Victoria) was born in 1900. The 1901 census shows Samuel, Isabella and daughter Victoria living with two servants in 33 Jocelyn Street in Dundalk.
The 1911 Dundalk census shows William John Gabbie, his sister Sarah Ann Gabbie and step-daughter Isabella Whan, together with Samuel Whan and three Whan children (Victoria, born 1900, Alexander, born 1902, and William Henry, born 1905) all living at 23 Jocelyn Street in Dundalk.
Isabella (nee Smith) was born in 1867 in Scotch Street, Armagh.  Her mother's maiden name was Dunlop (see more below).
The Whan side of the family ran a large shop in Clanbrassil Street in Dundalk listed under outfitters, tailors, woollen and linen drapers, milliners, dressmakers and boot and shoe dealers.  The 1901 census gives the shop as 6 Clanbrasil Street. It was occupied by Lizzie Whan (presumably Samuel's sister), eight living-in staff and two servants.  It must have been quite a large business.
Samuel Whan and his wife moved with their three children to Belfast in about 1914 where a fourth child, David, was born in 1915.
William Henry Whan (the third of Samuel and Isabella's children) was my father.  I (David Alexander Whan) was born in 1941, during the second world war, on the night of the very large blitz on Belfast!
I have in my possession a silver clock/barometer set which was presented to William Gabbie in 1900 by the officers of the 3rd Dragoon Guards.  Apparently the horses in the regiment went down with some disease and William Gabbie cured them.
I was in Dundalk last week and called in the library.  Staff were most helpful.  I am considering gifting the clock/barometer set to the city of Dundalk if my children have no interest in me passing it to them.
The other interesting connection is that the Armagh vets were involved in a veterinary practice in May Street in Belfast where John Boyd Dunlop invented the first successful pneumatic tyre.  The site in May Street is marked by a "blue plate" to signify its historical significance.
It might interest you to know that I have a receipt for a payment by William Gabbie from St. Patrick's cemetery in Dundalk dated 22 July 1910 for the burial of "the late Mrs Gabbie".  The payment was for £3.12.6.
I also have a note from the Military Secretary at the War Office (date is 15th July but year undecipherable 191?) advising my grandmother that Lieut Colonel W Dunlop Smith (my grandmother's brother)  had been admitted to No 23 British Military Hospital in Baghdad suffering from Gadfly Fever and was later discharged for duty.