Author Topic: William John Gabbie Vet in Dundalk  (Read 11388 times)

Offline Dot Boyd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William John Gabbie Vet in Dundalk
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 October 14 00:06 BST (UK) »
David
Many thanks for your information on William John Gabbie.
Some of this I knew but you have put'  flesh on the bones'  and made it interesting.
Still looking for his second wife he married in 1911. Are you living in Belfast?   Robert Brown and I  would like to meet up with you if possible to exchange some facts as  Robert Brown is  the g.grandson of Elizabeth Jane Gabbey sister of William John the vet.

Elizabeth

Offline DavidAW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 October 14 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth
Many thanks for your interesting response to my posting.
I left Northern Ireland in 1965 and, since then, have lived in USA, Scotland and England.  Am currently living in North East England.  I was in Belfast last weekend and took a trip to Dundalk where the library staff were incredibly helpful.
I would certainly like to meet you and Robert Brown sometime but am not likely to be in Belfast again in the near future.
I would like to establish contact with you by exchange of a personal message (giving you my own e-mail address) but, as I am a new member to this site, cannot get in touch with you by PM (nor can you contact me) until I have made three postings.
Looking forward to your response.  If you post again, and I reply, I understand that you will then be able to send me a personal message.
Kind regards and very best wishes
David

Offline DavidAW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 October 14 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth
Managed to do a bit more digging this morning through some of the old papers and notes from my uncle who died in Belfast a few years ago.
I have noted that he said that many of the family were known by pet names (e.g. Queenie for Victoria).  Apparently my grandmother was not known by the family as Isabella but as Pinty.  One which will certainly interest you is that Matilda Johnson, my grandmother's step-mother, was referred to by the family as Ga.
That will answer your question about the bride in Gabbie's wedding in 1991 !
Now that I have made three posts, you might be able to send me a private message through RootsChat.
Best wishes
David

Offline Dot Boyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 October 14 20:12 BST (UK) »
David

Great  thanks -thought Matilda may be the second wife but needed to go back to Dundalk to research a little more.  Is there a headstone in the cemetry for William Gabbie and wife or wives.?
As for Whan  -- I think that family came from Cookstown and was looking at Samuel born 1863 father Benjamin mother Mary Ekin.   If this is the same Whan then Mary Ekin's brother William Ekin 's dau was a gaunt of mine. She was Mary Ekin b 1875 died 1971 married John Greer 
Whan is not so common a name here.
regards
Elizabeth

Offline DavidAW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 October 14 20:54 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth
Many thanks for the information.  I presume you live in Northern Ireland.
Matilda was William Gabbie's second wife.  His first wife, Grizella (or sometimes Grisella), I am fairly sure, was my great-grandmother.  The receipt from St Patricks Cemetery, dated 22 Feby 1910, was for the burial of "the late Mrs Gabbie" and the purchase of two grave spaces in Section No: One, Pt.
Isabella's (my grandmother's) birth certificate gives her mother as Grizella Smith, formerly Dunlop, and her father as William Smith, Veterinary Surgeon.  The birth, in Armagh, was on 20 November 1867.  This puzzles me as the 1901 census for 33 Jocelyn Street gives Isabella (then Whan) as 31 years old which does not tie in with a birth in 1867.
I am fairly sure that my grandfather, Samuel Whan was indeed born in Cookstown.  You give the date of birth for Samuel as 1863.  The 1901 census for 33 Jocelyn Street gives his age at that time as 31, making a date of birth of 1870.  There is certainly something odd about the dates!
Some more research is required but I cannot see me finding time to do this in the near future.
If you find out anything more of interest, or can rationalise the discrepancies, please let me know.
Best wishes and many thanks for the helpful information.
David

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 October 14 08:40 BST (UK) »
Isabella's (my grandmother's) birth certificate gives her mother as Grizella Smith, formerly Dunlop, and her father as William Smith, Veterinary Surgeon.  The birth, in Armagh, was on 20 November 1867.  This puzzles me as the 1901 census for 33 Jocelyn Street gives Isabella (then Whan) as 31 years old which does not tie in with a birth in 1867.
I am fairly sure that my grandfather, Samuel Whan was indeed born in Cookstown.  You give the date of birth for Samuel as 1863.  The 1901 census for 33 Jocelyn Street gives his age at that time as 31, making a date of birth of 1870.  There is certainly something odd about the dates!

It's not unusual for census to record incorrect ages but there is this Samuel Whan birth-
Samuel Whan, 12 Jan.1870   Cookstown district (mother Mcreynolds)
which matches this extract-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPYB-PDC

The Benjamin Whan and Mary Ekin mentioned earlier had at least 2 children:
Margaret Hall (1865) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F55X-P9N
unnamed male (1870 Magherafelt dist.) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPTV-CYX
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline DavidAW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 October 14 09:38 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth

Many thanks for this.  I am certain that my grandfather was the Samuel Henry Whan born on 12 Jan 1870 as the name McReynolds was mentioned by my late uncle.
I shall e-mail you later today at the address which you provided.

David

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 October 14 10:01 BST (UK) »
I think Elizabeth might be confused?

Benjamin Whan & Mary Eakin (children registered 1865 & 1870 although there may have been others) were Magherafelt district.

Henry H. Whan & Eliza McReynolds were the parents of Samuel Whan born 1870 Cookstown district.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline DavidAW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 October 14 10:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  Information much appreciated.
There is certainly still some confusion as you say the mother of Samuel Henry Whan was Eliza McReynolds whereas his mother's name is given on his birth certificate as Ann Jane Mc Reynolds.
If only I had time to pursue this further!