Author Topic: David Walker m Catherine MacAulay 1827 North Uist  (Read 5270 times)

Offline ikethearmyguy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Walker m Catherine MacAulay 1827 North Uist
« on: Tuesday 20 August 13 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hello. I'd like to pose a question about an ancestor David Walker who married Catherine MacAulay in North Uist in 1827. David was listed as a farm grieve on the MacAulay farm in Hougharry where Catherine was a servant. They emigrated to Canada in approx 1838 with several children (Donald and Mary twins 1829, John 1831, Mary 1834 and Angus 1837 or 1838). I cannot find any of the children born in Inverness-shire between 1827 and 1838 but someone said they found the same group of children born same years to a Catherine Walker in Kincardineshire.

My question is simple. Is it likely that David Walker was from Kincardineshire, moved to North Uist, married and moved back to Kincardineshire to have children only to emigrate to Canada with other North Uist families?

Where the David and Catherine's children's families settled in Cape Breton is among other North Uist families. I'm stuck here lol

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: David Walker m Catherine MacAulay 1827 North Uist
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 August 14 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hello. I'd like to pose a question about an ancestor David Walker who married Catherine MacAulay in North Uist in 1827. David was listed as a farm grieve on the MacAulay farm in Hougharry where Catherine was a servant. They emigrated to Canada in approx 1838 with several children (Donald and Mary twins 1829, John 1831, Mary 1834 and Angus 1837 or 1838). I cannot find any of the children born in Inverness-shire between 1827 and 1838 but someone said they found the same group of children born same years to a Catherine Walker in Kincardineshire.

Hi Ike,

I see it's an old post & not sure if you have moved on & up the ladder? but just a few questions !!!  ;D ;D ;D  ::) ::) ::)

At the time of the marriage David was living in Balranald & Catherine in Hougharry.

No other “Walker” marriages in North Uist from 1821 – 1852 so this is good reason to think David was an incomer ?

No other David Walker marriage to a Catherine MacAulay anywhere else in Scotland from 1538 - 1854 (Well, not recorded) so another reason to think it’s the same man ?

No other Walker births in North Uist from 1822 – 1854 Kilmuir, 1829 – 1854 Carinish or 1829 – 1854 Trumisgarry (Well, not recorded) so more weight for your theory ?

The name David also suggests the same, as David is not an Uist name in general ?
However, the name Walker is a South Uist name but again not David unless he was actually Donald ?
MacAulay is however an North Uist name but do you have any documents that state Catherine was born there or is it an assumption ?

If the children who were born in Scotland were not christened there will be no record of them.
Where did you get the info. on birth dates for kids Donald, John, Mary & Angus? (I have supplied a birth date which is on his marriage record).
Do census records (1841 onward) give place of birth as Scotland ?
Do you know for sure when they landed in Canada ?
When is your 1st sighting of them on a Canadian census?
Have you seen David on a Canadian census ?
Is it possible he died prior to the 1st census you found with the family ?
Do you have all the details for the Canadian children’s births or just from census records ?
How sure are you of who was born & when in Canada ?
~~~~~~~~-------------------------
Marriage record 04 Dec 1866 Gabarus, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia for son Angus born 1838 Scotland;
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F2G8-H97
Were both parent’s alive at the time of this union ?

Do his parent’s names appear on his death cert.?

Annie.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ikethearmyguy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 19:39 BST (UK) »
Annie
    As far as the Walker children are concerned, I found their dates of death in Canada and walked backward. I knew they emigrated in 1838 so any of them born prior to this year were Scottish born. I've found Catherine Walker (no David though) and their Scottish born children living in Cape Breton on the 1841 Census of Canada but this only reflects the country of birth.

The house that Catherine raised the children in when they came to Canada had her brother and father living on both sides of her. I compared the birth dates of these men and they matched up with her family is Hougharry.

I'd seen several times on various Census of Canada that the year of immigration was 1838 which coincided with most of their neighbours dates as well, which I can only assume they "travelled" from North Uist with these people.

My mother's grave, which is only meters away from most of David and Catherine's children, is among headstones dated as early as the early 1850s.

You raised a point about whether his name was Donald and not David. I have a cousin, Donald John Walker, whose father is John Donald, whose father was Donald John and you guessed it, his father was John Walker. Now THIS John Walker had a brother Donald who I think is the first male born to "David and Catherine". In accordance with Scottish naming system, wouldn't the first born son be named after the father? In this case, I was wondering if David's father was Donald? (I know, confusing eh?)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 19:44 BST (UK) »
Are you aware that there is a Kincardine, in Invernesshire?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abernethy_and_Kincardine

Regards

Malky

Offline ikethearmyguy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 19:50 BST (UK) »
No I was not aware that there was a Kincardine in Invernesshire! I have to go research replies to my queries on this forum to where someone posted names and dates for children in Kincardine - I thought it was Kincardineshire. Thanks!

Offline ikethearmyguy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 19:55 BST (UK) »
LOL It was actually YOU Malky!

Here is what I have found.
Donald Walker, b 1832 Kincardine, Scotland. Father David Walker.
Mary Walker, b 1832 Kincardine, Scotland. Father David Walker.
John Walker, b 1833 Kincardine, Scotland. Father David Walker.
Sarah 1831,  Kirkudbright, Scotland. Father David Walker.
Angus Walker 1838 Not found as yet.
The Donald and Mary matching year looks interesting considering the original post BUT they are born 6 months apart.

Looking at the Canadian census, Angus's religion is marked as Catholic. This is probably a better approach in research.
There is an Angus Walker, born to a Catherine Walker in 1830 under the Catholic register in Scotland's People.
There are also a Donald, Mary and John born to a Catherine Walker.
These are found during an open search between 1828 and 1840 and there are a total of 12 children in the register born to at least 1 Catherine Walker.
To find if this family is there, it will be necessary to check each record for clarity.
One thing is that the father's name using "David" returns no births in conjunction with the mother "Catherine".
There are 2 births with the father as "David", Arthur Walker, born 3 February 1828. This may be a "double" entry. There is no mention of the mother as Catherine.

Happy hunting. 

Regards

Malky.