Author Topic: Army Pensions  (Read 880 times)

Offline Sean O Callaghan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Army Pensions
« on: Tuesday 14 June 05 17:22 BST (UK) »
My Great-Grandfather was invalided out of the York Lancasters in 1886, following an amputation.  He then received a pension.  Is there any way of finding out what such a pension might have been worth at the time and whether it could have provided him with a reasonable living?  He had served almost 7 yrs.

On a related note, his son was invalided out of the RNVR in 1919, having served just a year and three months, yet he also received a pension.  Would this have been some kind of disability pension(he had TB) and again, would it have been worth much?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ceallachain

Offline sharren1837

• RootsChat Senior
  • Time cannot change what went before
    • View Profile
Re: Army Pensions
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Ceallachain,

the following site maybe of interest, best wishes, sharren

http://eh.net/hmit/ppowerbp/
BALDRIDGE: Yorks, BARNWELL: Warwicks & Yorks, CARASS: Yorks, DENT: Durham, Lewisham & Yorks, GIBSON: Pontefract & Yorks, SAWBRIDGE: Leicester & Yorks, WALTON: Yorks, WEBSTER: Yorks, YOUNG: Yorks.

Offline Sean O Callaghan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Army Pensions
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 18:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you, What a fantastic site!  But, what I really wanted to know first off was how much pension a soldier in his position would have received.   I don't know what the amount was as yet, so cannot convert it, but thank you anyway as it is an extremely useful site.

ceallachain