Author Topic: ELIZA PALMER born 1820 in Shutford, Oxfordshire - Were was she in 1841 & 1851  (Read 21193 times)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
Re: ELIZA PALMER born 1820 in Shutford, Oxfordshire - Were was she in 1841 & 1851
« Reply #18 on: Monday 09 September 13 20:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mabel, intriguing indeed could this be were Eliza Palmer disappeared to post 1820 before giving birth to two children in London? . . . .or is it just coincidence and she was elsewhere?

Is there a link between Shutford, Devon, London and Lamport somewhere?
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ELIZA PALMER born 1820 in Shutford, Oxfordshire - Were was she in 1841 & 1851
« Reply #19 on: Monday 09 September 13 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, The question which may provide the required info is who is the father of Thomas Hannaford Palmer? My Grandmother Clara Palmer said her Grandfather was an Earl, got presents from 'the big house' at Christmas etc. Eliza gave birth in London(30,Stangate st), but had no links to the city. Thomas has links to Burton on trent (Paget st, Uxbridge rd.) which has links to Paget family. My suspicion is that the father was Alfred Henry Paget (known as Lord Alfred Paget). Strange that THP came from nowhere to becoming a Blacksmith (trade requiring apprenticeship) by age of 21. Where was he in 1861 census? Lichfield seems to be a central link also. Hope I may have provided food for thought, looking forward to any info.

This Thomas in 1881?

Thomas Palmer 31 occ Blacksmith b London
Annie 32 b Burton on Trent
Susan Eliza 9 b Erdington
George Thomas 5 b Wednesford?
Flora Emily 3 b Lichfield
Clara Ellen 2 b Litchfield
Residing at Beacon Street, Litchfield
Census ref RG11/2772/114/8

1871 occ Blacksmith with Annie and boarding with a Harris family
Census ref RG10/2905/122/38

In 1891 Thomas born Victoria, London occ Blacksmith with new wife Sarah A b Litchfield
Census ref RG12/2214/133/3

1901 b 1849 NK RG13/2571/119/13

Still around 1911 in Stafford, not once in returns does he use a middle initial?
Keyboard86

Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 September 13 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Keyboard86

Interesting - Lord Alfred Paget was MP for Lichfield -  or is this a "Red Herring"?
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 September 13 22:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Keyboard86

Interesting - Lord Alfred Paget was MP for Lichfield -  or is this a "Red Herring"?

;D More to the point where/when/why did the middle name disappear, and why not Paget?

Just a thought!!

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 09 September 13 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Just coming in late on this.

A possible baptism for Thomas from the N.M.I.

Lamport C of E
Bap 03-Nov 1811 born 25th Jul
Thomas BAMFORD s of George and Ann   

I will see if there is a headstone for him at Lamport in a mo.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 September 13 23:20 BST (UK) »
Also in case anyone else is related.

From the N.M.I.

Lamport   C of E
05-Mar 1860
Thomas   BAMFORD otp, widower, full age, grocer, father George, servant to
Eliza PALMER of Lamport Hall, spinster, full age, servant, father John, schoolmaster

Sandy               
Census Crown Copyright

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 09 September 13 23:38 BST (UK) »
I think I have found Thomas's headstone inscription.

In Affectionate Remembrance
THOMAS BAMFORD,
WHO DIED 30TH JULY
AGED 59 YEARS

ALSO JOHN BAMFORD
SON OF THE ABOVE
WHO DIED 3RD JUNE 1860
AGED 12 YEARS

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 08:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this Sandy.

It all adds to the picture and, hopefully leading to solving the mystery of where Eliza Palmer was between 1820 and 1860.

Much appreciated.

Andy

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 15:01 BST (UK) »
I now know that Northamptonshire Record Office has the following relevant records:
Household accounts for Lamport Hall including servants’ wages 1818-1857 (reference: IL 2825, 2805a)
Estate Records for Lamport 1832-1872 (reference: FS18)
I know that Eliza Palmer worked at Lamport Hall as a servant when she married in Lamport in 1860. The wages records above only go up to 1857.  I have written to the record office to ask if there any records that take these wages records from 1857 up to 1860.
Is anyone going to the record office in the near future that could have a quick check to see if there is a reference in the above records to Eliza Palmer?  I live some distance from Northampton and this would help to check if a journey for me would be worthwhile.
Many thanks,
Andy