Author Topic: Morpeth  (Read 2734 times)

Offline NatashaWindham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Morpeth
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 September 18 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Natasha, George William Cook and Elizabeth Cook ( Windham ) were the parents of my Grandmother Elizabeth Baker (Cook ) who lived at the King Crispin Pub Morpeth. I have photos of the two family seniors . Elizabeth married Thomas Baker, my grandfather, who owned an iron foundry in Simonside which was hit by bombs in WW2 when his son Arnold, my Dad's brother was killed. Yes it would be nice to chat but not sure if we are allowed to post our telephone number or email addrtess on here.
Cheers for now,
Ken Baker  Wakefield West Yorkshire.

Hi Ken!

I was a little worried you wouldn’t be signing in again as it had been a while since you last posted here.

My project this year has been to trace as many of my 3rd-Great-Grandparents’ descendants as I can and contact them. I believe you are the 20th I’ve now talked to.

The 3rd-Great-Grandparents I’m talking about, by the way, are John Windham and Dorothy Dykes Chipchase, who I believe were your Great-Grandmother’s parents.

I’m also delighted to read you have a photo of their daughter Elizabeth. I’m actually on a mission to collect photos of their children too. So far I have three.

As my account is new on here I’m unable to send you a message just yet. Very annoying, isn’t it?

I’ll add my email address here and then edit it out once I know you have it.

~Edited~

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Re: Morpeth - King Crispin pub
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 September 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
This map of Newgate Street, Morpeth c1900 shows 3 inns and 3 public houses (pubs).

I've just had a call from someone who knows Morpeth very well and she says The King Crispin pub was indeed at number 10 Newgate street, now occupied by a fish and chip shop called Mahlia's. It's about 4 houses up from the Market Place. At the left is a passage called Horse Entry so clients could lead their horses through to stables at the back.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.1680436,-1.6907238,3a,45y,109.3h,97.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUdtCLJF_4ck5fyePGl7o5A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

All the older houses/shops in Morpeth are built on Medieval burgage plots, with a narrow street frontage but extending into a long garden or outbuildings at the back. They are largely demolished in Morpeth as they became overcrowded tenements but a few survived and are now quite interesting. The writer of the book I mentioned in an earlier post lives in one of them called Bakehouse Lane.

Gen in Northumberland UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline stuth45

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 09:56 GMT (UK) »
King Crispin  Inn was indeed at the site of the Maylia's chip shop. I have a picture of it in the day if you're interested.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Natasha, George William Cook and Elizabeth Cook ( Windham ) were the parents of my Grandmother Elizabeth Baker (Cook ) who lived at the King Crispin Pub Morpeth. I have photos of the two family seniors . Elizabeth married Thomas Baker, my grandfather, who owned an iron foundry in Simonside which was hit by bombs in WW2 when his son Arnold, my Dad's brother was killed. Yes it would be nice to chat but not sure if we are allowed to post our telephone number or email addrtess on here.
Cheers for now,
Ken Baker  Wakefield West Yorkshire.

Once Natahsa has made 3 posts, you can contact her by the Private Message System within Roots Chat. That means only the two of you will be privvy to the information.

Posting email addresses and / or telephone numbers into a public forum is ( in my opinion) never a good idea. These boards are available world wide via search engines and I imagine neither of you would want the resultant email spam and phone calls.

Boo